+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grand canyon Hiking quesTionS

Banned

Grand canyon Hiking quesTionS

Are we crazy? Going to the Grand Canyon to hike Rim to River to Rim on the same day. Going down Bright Angel trail and back the same way. Will have 17 year old son with me. From what I read maybe this is not such a good idea? Son is in fairly good shape (swimming, track, though outside of structured activities is rather lazy) and I am doing stadiums (can do hour with 10 lbs), running and ride bike regularly (time for only 50 miles a week, tho). Occasionally run trails in area but in Louisiana it is flat. Is that going to get us down and back or are we just gonna wilt on the trail?

Also worry about heat in early June in canyon. It is getting rather warm here (80+ highs) and humidity is getting wicked again so sweat buckets during workouts but not sure if that will acclimatize for canyon. Waddoyathink?

Also, how important is equipment? Have the water planned already, but not sure about the shoes (do not have boots, do everything in running shoes and sandals). Plan on getting trek poles, having snacks, even gonna bring an umbrella in case sun gets too much. Anything else we otta know? Have read several books, forums and blogs but any other info welcome...

Banned

Slashnbern-
    I don't think you are crazy. It is doable and it sounds like you are in enough shape to do it. Those that get rescued might be young but are not/have not gotten into any type of shape.

I always hike in running shoes or trail shoes never boots. The Bright Angel is a good soild/well traveled trail so running shoes will be fine.

Not sure what you mean by equipment. Day packs with a large water bladder, a good lunch, and some power snacks will work. Maybe a filter for your water out of the river. You are going to be happy with trek poles.

Start early, early, early. Two reason's, the heat/sun and you will beat the mules/crowds. You can rest in the rest huts if you get too hot on the way back up. Although I wouldn't bring an umbrella myself it doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.

Not much more advise to give, it is what it is, desent hike down the canyon and then a long climb back out. But if you don't spend you time looking up the climb out really isn't that bad.

Have a great hike, I know that I had a blast doing it.

SweetAss

Banned

OK, just back from trip. We did OK! Conditioning more than enough for me, but due to adverse conditions on ascent (howling wind full of the superfine trail dust then freezing rain and more wind for last 2 miles up the South Kaibab- so much for worry about heat) son almost did not make it out. Um, we also left our rain gear with other members that turned back at Indian Gardens. We kinda got distracted. Everything there really gets you excited.
    Altitude no factor. The intensity of running the stadiums (by the end ran steps (with 15lbs in daypack for leg strength and 10 lbs in hands to condition for poling) for 45 minutes after an hour of cycling intervals) got legs plenty strong and lungs ready, even though I am at sea level.
    Heat no factor. Weather had been unseasonably cool according to shuttle driver. The descent down Bright Angel was in overcast and even Phantom Ranch (PR) was only 96 degrees in the dry heat - that was not bad for someone from the Gulf Coast. Ascent up South Kaibab was not so good a decision though we made that plan change to get out by sundown. Barely made that deadline, though we did have flashlights. Did not start early enough and we had issues with one of our party's knee's on the way down (they did not go to PR).
    Used running shoes, but would not recommend. Extra stiffness in the sole (soul in the case of my son) would have been useful. Also, when the rain ran down the trail the donkey urine caused it to froth and the occasional misstep...yuk, not waterproof.

Water was no issue. I made sure that the bladders were full and had my fill at all the water stops to Phantom Ranch. Overcast and rain also helped, I drank little once we started to freeze with about 2 miles left up the South Kaibab. Stubborn son did his own water, and I shared mine with him with about 3 miles left on the ascent.

Plenty of fuel. Had lots left over. A rock squirrel snatched a sandwich at the river but I was real tired of peanut butter and jelly at that point anyway. Had Gu and nutrition bars with trail mix. Watch that trail mix, rather laxative effect.

Really a great trip. For enjoyment purposes would camp at PR so one could enjoy the ascent to a greater degree. Mules really smell! We found out that the driving rain was snow at the south rim and 8 inches of accumulation at the North Rim. REALLY have to prepare for everything. All the information really made it safer and more enjoyable. Thanks to everything everywhere for that.

SlashnBern

hey bro sounds like a successful trip! thanks for the report back.

if you could go back and do it again what would you do differently?

Banned

Aside from camping at PR I would stay longer!!! And go slower. The pace was way too fast to really enjoy and remember everything. But as the Dad in my family I really have to keep up with the kids and keep the wife from freaking out all the time (this is true no matter where we go!) I tried to learn about the geology of the canyon and the plant and animal life but time prevented me from learning more than just a general understanding. And I would pay more attention to what the rangers say about what to expect and how to enjoy the canyon more. Also, the inner canyon was really interesting. I would like to spend more time there. And rafting the canyon would be really terrific since that would be a good way to see the gorges. Can't wait to go back...

Re:Grand canyon Hiking quesTionS

<br><br>Post edited by: soulgypsy, at: 2009/11/26 13:27

+ Reply to Thread