+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new with bonsai trees

Bonsai Apprentice dallyde is on a distinguished road

new with bonsai trees

hi to all,
    since i am new in bonsai trees i would really need your help in "making" my bonsai .i have purchased my first bonsai tree as a ficus bonsai(in the photos) ...now from what i have read and observe on my tree is that it was over watering as some roots are rotten ..i am asking your opinion on what to do next...the leaves are ok till now..i am thinking to leave it alone for accommodation in the new environment for a period ( a month maybe ? ), i am also asking your opinion on the shape- suggestions pls
    the soil from the pot from what i know i think that it is made from peat and sand and have some fertilizer in it . would you suggest to change it ? would this soil work http://www.mybonsaibuddy.com/Bonsai_..._Tropical.html ??

thank you,
    Attached Images

nobody ??!

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    What to do next is kind of a vague question. It depends on the growing conditions, the soil condition, how it was trained and for how long, ... Most importantly it depends on your goals with the tree.

So what do you want the tree to look like? Thicker trunk? Better branch ramification? Leaf reduction?

You should always give the tree a period of recovery when it is moved, even from one room to another. And that period should last until you see new growth, or the general health of the tree deteriorates to the point where intervention is required.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

well first off all i would like to have a thicker trunk and leaf reduction ...
    for the moment my ficus is going very well ...yesterday i have wired few branches for shape...all was going well , but i have 2 branches that are not in place they are slightly thicker and i do not know what to do with them ? they should be removed (in the photo ) but i do not know how and when to remove them ..i think that i need to put cut paste right? for the moment i will leave the soil how it is..and i will change it in the spring (hope all to be ok) .also the top few branches on the top are too long with big leafs what to do with them?? now it is almost November , can i cut this branches or should i wait till spring ???
    Attached Images

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    I can't speak to the Ficus specifics, but here http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ficus.html can get you pointed in the right direction. Generally (across most species of any tree), pruning and repotting takes place in the early early spring before bud-break when the tree is going to heal most quickly.

The best way to thicken the trunk is to plant the tree into a large pot and just let it grow. Don't trim, don't prune, don't wire. At least do these only if not doing them will ruin the tree. You can always cut the branches back and work on ramification after the tree gets as big as you'd like.

Cut paste is a personal preference. Branches fall off and break in nature and they don't have cut paste, but then again, it doesn't happen as often as we chop into the trees.

I wouldn't remove the branches yet. They can be used as "sacrifice" branches to create taper in the trunk. And after the tree fills in, you may decide you need the branches.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

thank you for reply mKlRivPwner...
    i will read as much as i cant and find before doing something "drastic " to it...i only did the wiring but i will leave it alone for spring ... as for the dimension of my ficus is 50cm tall from the pot (for me it's pretty enough ) and the pot is 36cm/20cm/15cm ...

Bonsai Sensei Gina is infamous around these parts
    If you are trying to fatten the trunk, you will want the bottom to fatten up with the trunk getting thinner as you go higher up, so you should let the lower branches grow, but keep the higher up ones short. If you let them all grow, the trunk won't develop any significant taper. This is a mistake I made with one of my ficuses a couple of years ago, and now I don't know how to correct it without cutting the top off and developing a new one.

+ Reply to Thread