+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backpack

Banned

Question Backpack

I've tried to find some post about this but wasn't able to find it.

I'm looking for backpack big enough for 4/5 days trekking.
    I was pointing to a 40 liter bp what do you think about size?

I'm going to take with me an Coleman Cobra 2 tent and a Lafuma Extreme 600
    sleeping bag, some food, clothes to change in case of rain, first aid kit, stove

It must have an hydration bag or sleeve and straps for the tent.

I've been looking around for this for some days and I always come back
    to this backpack Deuter Futura Pro 38

Any opinion?
    Last edited by AzoresExpeditions; 06-06-2012 at 01:22 AM.

in my experience there is no greater backpack than a Gregory. durable, simple, well-designed, and sleek.
    Help preserve the Environment - Teach Compassion for Wild Animals

Banned
    I've read a lot about Gregory backpacks but can't find any shop near me (EU) or with cheap shipping for it.
    They look really nice.

whiteOak what do you think about the size? 40L for 4/5 days of hike.

That is a nice looking pack 40L pack should be ok for a 5 day hike I used a 40L for a 6 day hike
    it all comes down to how smart you pack.
    I now have a 75L pack which I now use for all my hikes from 2 day and up.
    The smell of the bush after rain, the solitude and isolation, just you and the track with the birds singing
    the crickets and cicada chirping.

Life is what you make it

I dont think this pack is too big. the thing about good internal frame packs is that you can shrink their size with the compression straps on the sides. and you never know when you might need all that capacity. its good to have a slightly larger pack than you actually need for normal weekend use.

what really matters is what you put in there. I never have more than twenty pounds in my pack, but of course the dog carries another ten pounds or so

good luck
    Help preserve the Environment - Teach Compassion for Wild Animals

Banned
    Can't find anywhere in EU those Gregory backpacks but I've found this one Osprey Talon 44 and it looks really nice. I've read some reviews and everyone give a 5* rating but they
    warn too, because its not for all kinds of hikes.

I usually go to really dense forests, does anyone as any experience with this backpack?

Until now the Deuter pack is still in the 1st place to buy.

Does anyone know Eye Mountaineer Backpacks? This one is 50L

I'm trying to find a pack with top and bottom openings, side mesh pockets, top pocket, H2O adapted, bottom straps to carry tent and belt pockets. Optional is a front mesh for helmet. Any tip?
    Last edited by AzoresExpeditions; 06-19-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Banned
    I do not recognize "Azores" (your location) so forgive me if this is well out of tech for you, but mountain equipment coop sells an excellent 70L backpack. I own it and it's all you'll ever need in a pack pack. It's the mec brio 70 and here's a link:http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/...0-backpack.jsp

I would recommend a 70L for 4-5 day trips especially in the wintertime. The brio is on sale right now for $83, however you will need to purchase a $5 memership if you don't already have one. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AzoresExpeditions View Post
    Can't find anywhere in EU those Gregory backpacks but I've found this one Osprey Talon 44 and it looks really nice. I've read some reviews and everyone give a 5* rating but they
    warn too, because its not for all kinds of hikes.

I usually go to really dense forests, does anyone as any experience with this backpack?

Until now the Deuter pack is still in the 1st place to buy.

Does anyone know Eye Mountaineer Backpacks? This one is 50L

I'm trying to find a pack with top and bottom openings, side mesh pockets, top pocket, H2O adapted, bottom straps to carry tent and belt pockets. Optional is a front mesh for helmet. Any tip?
    I have a Talon 44. Unless you pack really light and compact, it won't be quite big enough.

The quality is great and it should last a long time.

Banned
    Just to give a small update. I bought the Deuter Futura 38 six months ago and have been using it a lot. It's 38 + 4 so the size is perfect, the only thing I miss is belt pockets. I've been using it to be in nature while exploring and create new trails and for 3/4 days walks. To use such "small" pack for multi days you do need to really know what you'll use in the field because you can't take any extra. For me is perfect since I enjoy bushcraft too
    Last edited by AzoresExpeditions; 05-04-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Banned
    I think the Deuter Futura Pro 38 would work fine! As long as my backpack has a good place on the outside to put my woodsman pal, I'm fine. I absolutely love that thing!

+ Reply to Thread