+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Tips of the Georgia section of the Appalachian trail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Tips of the Georgia section of the Appalachian trail

    Me and a friend are going to be backpacking all of the Georgia section of the AT September of next year. I just looking for tips about what to expect and maybe share your experiences. Gear you thought you were going to need but never used. How many miles you trekked in that section of the AT. Also what kinda weather to expect at the end of September beginning of August.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Long distance hiking is 90% mental. The other 10% is psychological.

    Altough it is possible to bring the wrong gear and to plan incorrectly, there is such a broad range of "right" that a reasonable person will get close enough. I will say carrying more than 30 to 35 pounds will reduce your enjoyment and chances of success.

    This is the best information I've found on psychological aspects:

    I would plan as many 3 night trips as you can prior to the attempt. Even if it's just living out of your pack at home, taking day hikes/walks and sleeping outside. This will help you work out your gear and diet.

    In Georgia, it's mostly uphill and downhill without a lot of level.

    Every book I read on the trail talks about the rain. Take as many opportunities as you can to hike or walk in the rain before the trip. It's not that big a deal if you learn how to stay dry or enjoy being wet.

    If you don't have gear yet, this is a sample pack I made. It's not the "world's best gear." It is just a guide so you can choose similar things.

    Since your trip is 3 or 4 weeks long, being in shape at the beginning will be more critical than for those who are doing the whole trail. Many use the first month to get into shape. Simply walking 7 miles a day, even if you break it up into a bunch of small walks, will get you everything you need.

    Advice will be frustratingly general while you are planning. That is because "Hike your own hike" is a critical concept. What works for one person may be exactly wrong for another.

    Enjoy your trip.

    Disclaimer: I haven't hiked the AT. To my knowledge I've never set foot on it. I grew up in New Jersey, so I may have stumbled on it and not known. My hiking is mostly in Colorado. By comparison, Colorado hiking is very simple. Everything is uphill. There is no air to slow you down. The trails are perfect. It seldom rains until the late afternoon. There aren't any people. It's like walking on a bed of roses and the trails are as soft as a baby's butt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the motivational thoughts. I will be going on that trail also. glad to know your points.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Marietta, GA
    You have chosen a good time to go. Early September can be as hot as any in GA but by the end of September the temperature has broken and it is usually very pleasant. Once the temps break you don't get as many of those afternoon pop up thunderstorms. You can resupply at Neels Gap after 2-3 days if you need to. Enjoy your trip.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts