+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Into and tree indentification

Bonsai Apprentice lawjam is on a distinguished road

Into and tree indentification

Hi everyone,
    I just joined and would like to introduce myself. I just retired and moved to Cuenca Ecuador. Ecuador is the flower capital of the world. I just purchased my first bonsai tree. With my poor Spanish I listened to the nursery lady tell me how to take care of my new plant. When I got home and decided to look up my plant on the internet, I realized I forgot to ask her what it was. So I am attaching two pics of it. I am hoping someone will tell me what it is, so I can do my research on the plant.
    Thanks for your help
    Jim Lawson
    Attached Images

Bonsai Sensei Caisí M. is on a distinguished road
    Well, I think that is a Willow Leaf Ficus, as I have one and they look similar.

Bonsai Expert JesRdKing is on a distinguished road JesRdKing's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums you found a really nice and friendly site. My girlfriend was orginally from Ecuador, she lived close to Quinto. From what she described is absolutly geogeous there and would be a really optimum place to grow tropicals and subtropicals Bonsai's. Hoping someday we can get there so she can show her 2 sons and me where she grew up at. Jes

I went back to the Nursery and ask what the plant was. The lady wrote down the following:
    Eugenia: familia - Arrayan

From research on the net all I can gather is that it is a local plant. It may even flower. But the data was vague as to what this actual plant was.

Thanks JesRdKing

Bonsai Sensei Gina is infamous around these parts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawjam View Post
    I went back to the Nursery and ask what the plant was. The lady wrote down the following:
    Eugenia: familia - Arrayan

From research on the net all I can gather is that it is a local plant. It may even flower. But the data was vague as to what this actual plant was.
    That sounds more likely than Willow leaf ficus. Sometimes they are referred to as Syzygium. I'm a bit confused about the use of the two different names, but as far as I know they refer to the same tree. They do flower and may get berries as well, although mine have yet to do so.

Bonsai Apprentice Howard is on a distinguished road
    It is definitely one of the large family of Eugenia (which includes the surinam cherries). It looks like a dwarf brush(brush not bush) cherry called Eugenia myrtifolia 'Globulus' or Teenie Genie cherry . They are very easy to shape into topiary, do bear fruit, take well to bonsai training. Lots of confusion with this plant group because the the dwarf Eugenia mytrifolia 'Globulus' is also called a Syzygium australe. I have the Globulus/Teenie Genie which I bought from a bonsai nursery outside of Boston 30 yrs ago and I also have a Syzygium oleosum formerly called Eugenia oleosum or Lily Pilly Tree (also refers to several different types of trees). Today the two groups Syzgium and Eugenia are divided but there is still great confusion. I bought the Syzgium oleosum because its fruit are light pink to blue/light purple contrasting with the green leaves with the reddish(pinkish) color on upper stems. Home Depot sells Eugenia myrtifolia Globulus. Monrovia also sells this variety.

NIce info at this internet page http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/eugenia.html
    Last edited by Howard; 11-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Bonsai Expert JesRdKing is on a distinguished road JesRdKing's Avatar
    I also found out this info that is a spin off of the Myrtle family or is named Brush Cherry Tree Flowering from June- November and can provduce berries in March-April and there is so many new species being made. I think some of the confusion might be with Spanish interp. I checked a couple places and haven't actually seen that particular name Arrayan but could be more an Ecuador species and never made it's way over to the states. Jes

+ Reply to Thread