+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: The attack of the strangler figs...............

Bonsai Apprentice Howard is on a distinguished road

The attack of the strangler figs...............

One day you notice some cute fig seedlings growing near the top of a tree in your yard. You wake up one day and see the whole host tree encased in fig roots. The republicans and democrats fight while the strangler figs take over South Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP, HELP We hack and slash at these invaders from "HELL" to no avail. HELP, HELP I am afraid of falling asleep. Fear of wakening entangled by Ficus roots. jHH HH HHE HHEL HHEL HHELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    Wow. Talk about an invasive species.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

Quote Originally Posted by mKlRivPwner View Post
    Wow. Talk about an invasive species.
    Yes, they are an invasive bunch. Only my edible fig (Ficus carica) is not invasive in my collection. Below is a caudiform Ficus petiolaris. Just as many of the other members of the family, the tree
    remains small until roots hit dirt and water. At that point they turn into big trees. The petiolaris as seen below makes a nice mame bonsai until the roots invade another pot or hit the ground and the tree takes off. I repotted the bigger petiolaris last month and you can see the root creeping over the pot rim looking for FOOD. The last pic is of a rooted cutting off the big petolaris. The petolaris cuttings fatten up with a bulbous base just like the parent which is not the case in all caudiform plants
    Attached Images

Is it very difficult to keep the smaller trees? I've read that they are more finicky than normal Bonsai, and can require lots of attention.
    - Slim Genre

Administrator SlimGenre has disabled reputation SlimGenre's Avatar
    the 4th and 5th pic where they've been severed from the ground is amazing. They're as think as the trunk they're attached too. I saw a lot of that around Naples where my folks live. I didn't know it was so invasive though, frankly part of me thought it was just the rooting of the tree it was growing on. Reminds me of the kudzu we have in North Carolina, it makes everything look so lush a green and beautiful, but just takes over and kills everything.

Move at the speed of the tree
    - BonsaiZombie

Is it very difficult to keep the smaller trees? I've read that they are more finicky than normal Bonsai, and can require lots of attention.
    Positive points......more plants in small space
    takes less bonsai soil, pots are less expensive
    great specimen plants are not as expensive
    develop nice plants faster
    Negative points... in summer when very hot, some mame trees
    need watering twice a day or at
    least misting in early afternoon
    Some trees with faster growing roots
    need repotting more often that
    big boys because pots are tiny

Thanks!

So the tree with the roots cut; will the host survive?
    - Slim Genre

Thanks!

So the tree with the roots cut; will the host survive?
    The host is encased in a solid coffin of roots. That one will probably survive but not well. I have seen where the host finally dies and the ficus trunk looks like a hollow network of roots. Tho trees in the pics were left a long time...too long. Most ficus have shallow root systems and come down during hurricanes. The ficus on my block are mainly Ficus elastica...the rubber tree. They make excellent bonsai both small (leaves reduce well) and large even though they have large colorful leaves. The ficus species like to make homes in rain gutters and root tops especially in tile roofs if they are not maintained/cleaned. They even pop up between bricks and concrete blocks, sewer openings and on rocks.

In a book "Saving Fish from Drowning" there is a village consisting of jungle huts and one room houses from hollow strangler figs. The author (Amy Tam) writes that the host tree has completely disappeared and all that is left is the hollow tangle of roots.
    - Slim Genre

Bonsai Apprentice jueston is on a distinguished road
    In a book "Saving Fish from Drowning" there is a village consisting of jungle huts and one room houses from hollow strangler figs. The author (Amy Tam) writes that the host tree has completely disappeared and all that is left is the hollow tangle of roots.
    i saw this on the discovery channel, ther was a family living in side of a huge hollow tree and i didn't understand how there could be an area that big inside of the tree, but i later learned that the host tree had died and rotted away leaving that huge cave of roots for them to live...
    i want to live inside a tree......

+ Reply to Thread