+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Virginia Maples and shrooms

Super Moderator iamurthman has disabled reputation iamurthman's Avatar

Virginia Maples and shrooms

Awhile back someone was asking about growing mushrooms with their bonsai. Here's some growing with my maple group, al natural.VirginiaMaples and shrooms..jpgfall pics 010rs..jpg

nebraska
    They look like a great accent, add another "level" I guess is what ill call it, to the overall scene of the bonsai. I had one sprout up last year, tried to uproot it and grow it separate but it didn't like the transplant.

Bonsai Apprentice orchidman is on a distinguished road orchidman's Avatar
    i like those, would you mind posting a picture of the whole planting?

Virgina Maple Group

This is the best pic I have of the group, taken this spring just as it was putting on leaves, not long after I planted it. It's posted in Groups, Groves and Forests if you'd like to see some more. I'd misplaced my camera for most of the summer (between the seat and the center console of my truck) and didn't get any in full dress. That little sprig of green in the middle of the soil is a piece of Elfin Thyme, which now covers the whole top. I should add that the mushrooms came through no device of my own, they just pop up everywhere once the rains come. Apparently it's going to be a good year for shrooms, and I'm a dedicated fungiphile:cool:
    Attached Images

Bonsai Sensei Jimsai is on a distinguished road Jimsai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iamurthman View Post
    Awhile back someone was asking about growing mushrooms with their bonsai. Here's some growing with my maple group, al natural.Attachment 5148Attachment 5149
    If I remember right. Who ever it was wanted to grow shrums on their tree. Which I think was the question. By the way nice looking little group of Maples on a slab. I just posted this week my Ficus group I just finished. Have you had a chance to look at it? I would like your opinion if you could. I is my first group and would like to know how well I have done. I know I still have some triming to do. Just letting in settle in right now. I haven't lost the first leaf.... )

Jim

Yes, Jamsai, your memory serves you well and I had commented that shrooms on trees usually grow out of deadwood. There are a few that can be 'seeded' onto wood and you can get spore packets on-line. Oyster, shitaki and enoki are three that come to mind. Mushrooms are very specific as to which trees they grow on, Oysters only grow on deadwood of willow or alder, and I believe shitaki prefer oak. As a general rule, most others growing from deadwood are poisonous. Another thing, as long as I'm getting windy on the subject, is that if you've treated the deadwood with LS or hardener/preservative, as is common on bonsai, that will prohibit any cultivation of shrooms. Shrooms grow out of mycelium that grows and spreads into the deadwood and will to some extent consume that area, reducing it to powdery duff, natures little recyclers. I have been enjoying your Ficus grove, very nice work, and I will share my thoughts on that thread, it's at the top of my A-list, I'm still playing catch-up here, but I'm getting there. Thanks for the kind words on my maples.

Bonsai Apprentice orchidman is on a distinguished road orchidman's Avatar
    i like it! thanks for sharing

+ Reply to Thread