+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: juniper bonsai tree help, new at this

Junior Member olm88 is infamous around these parts

juniper bonsai tree help, new at this

ok so i bought four juniper bonsai trees of ebay its been about 2-3 weeks and i still don't know what to do with them, i don't know how and when to water, re-potting-when is it a good time/age and how to, training-what to use, etc. technically basic care. also i was wondering if i could put two of the trees together in one pot if so when/age should i?

(images attached of what i want to accomplish and of my trees)

if it helps i live in Arizona
    have no knowledge on bonsai trees
    i have searched and searched and i get different answers for basic care
    Attached Images

Bonsai Apprentice octoberust is infamous around these parts octoberust's Avatar

Does it it cold enough in Arizona for dormancy? Dormancy requires temps at or bellow freezing. Do junipers grow in AZ if so you should be okay. If junipers do not grow in AZ you may need to look into putting your trees in the refrigerator during the winter. Just a start but it should get the ball rolling. Type juniper into the search feature in the forum section on this sight and you will learn a ton.<br><br>Post edited by: octoberust, at: 2009/11/16 04:55

Bonsai Sensei Indiana Gardener is infamous around these parts Indiana Gardener's Avatar

You'll want the top of the soil to dry and it to be just barely moist further down before you water again.

Repotting is done in the early spring just before they break dormancy and start to grow. Trimming, pruning, and training can be started a month of two after the trees have been repotted to give them time to adjust.

I am not familiar with AZ weather, but whenever it gets below 45ºF, just water them as needed and let them rest for winter. If it gets below 25ºF where you are, you'll want to set them in the ground for winter up to the first limb. Be sure to choose a safe spot in the yard where they won't be stepped on and animals, such as rabbits, won't chew on them or otherwise damage them.

Does it get that cold where you are?

David

well at the moment our weather is crazy, one day is cold then the other is warm, mornings are cold then afternoons warm/hot. I think our average low for winter is no lower than 40° and our high is not higher than 90°, but yet these are guesstimates

Super Moderator mikey012076 has disabled reputation mikey012076's Avatar

Yes you can put them in a pot side by side like your photo, when repotting use some of the old soil, in the soil you will find white strings of something that looks like mold the juniper uses this to eat and brake down food so you must keep some old soil or do not wash off old soil with water, Junipers can also be repotted in autumn if necessary, but best wait until spring to repot, keep out of hot sun give your junipers morning sun only the hot sun will burn the needles on your small junipers rest of the day shade, your fall has started so keep them out side the night cold air will winter them, only bring a juniper inside when you are working on it then back out doors, Now when watering get a chopstick poke it in the soil down by the roots, keep it there for 3 min then pull it out feel the stick if the stick feels wet do not water, but if the stick feels dry then water your tree, here is some more info on your trees...
    http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/garden-juniper.html

Mike....:O)

thx mikey012076, now i can go and search for a big enough pot for my trees.

For training whats that about? can i use any type of wire?

sorry for asking so many questions.....

oh i forgot to put this on the previous reply,

if when i put the trees together in one pot, what can be done to the roots so that they wont get tangled?

Bonsai Sensei Indiana Gardener is infamous around these parts Indiana Gardener's Avatar

I use copper and aluminum for my trees. I use either on the branches to put bends in them or adjust angles, but aluminum to hold them in the pot.

With copper, you'll want wire that is about 1/3 the diameter of the branch. You can sometimes get away with a bit larger than 1/3 with using aluminum. You can run a few strands parallel to each other on big branches that may need more persuasion. You don't want to cross wires though. Keeps things cleaner for when you have to go back and loosen or remove them so that they don't cut into the bark as the tree grows.

Roots in group plantings will intermingle. You just have to carefully use a rake or root hook to separate them in a couple yrs at the next repotting.

David

Re:juniper bonsai tree help, new at this

for how long do i have to keep the wire on the trees?

Re:juniper bonsai tree help, new at this

Small branches may be trained in only a few months if the bend(s) is not too drastic. I've had larger branches that take over a yr.

The important thing is to check the wire often to be sure that the tree does not grow too much so that the wire cuts into the branches. You may need to loosen and rewire a couple of times during the training period to prevent wire scars.

David

+ Reply to Thread