+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The attack of the strangler figs...............

Bonsai Apprentice Howard is on a distinguished road
    http://www.vagabondish.com/south-afr...inside-a-tree/ This site has a pic of a bar in a very old Baobab tree in South Africa. After a thousand years old they start to go hollow according to the article. The Baobab tree makes nice bonsai..unusual trees. They have been used for residences for eons.

Another ficus walking out of the yard......... This is a yard down the street from me. Last week the ficus was full of leaves and the trunk/trunks were almost invisible. Today the tree is almost "nude" (gasp). I noticed a sale sign in the yard so I think the tree was poisoned ???? and it is being removed. Every so often the city would trim the branches/roots off the side walk. It was too low with too many roots for me to ride my bike on the sidewalk under it. Sorry to see an old specimen leaving the scene. My dogs and I walk past the tree often. Only now can I see the house on the lot. It is not by far the largest ficus in my neighbor but they are rapidly disappearing. During the last hurricane the shallow rooted trees wiped out several houses. Two lots from me one large ficus fortunately fell to the side only doing minimal damage to the house next door. It missed several houses fortunately.
    Attached Images

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jueston View Post
    i want to live inside a tree......
    The next to last tree may be exactly what you're looking for.
    http://www.simonseeks.com/blog/world...t-famous-trees

It's a far cry from your Florida living, but it's impressive all the same.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

Quote Originally Posted by mKlRivPwner View Post
    The next to last tree may be exactly what you're looking for.
    http://www.simonseeks.com/blog/world...t-famous-trees

It's a far cry from your Florida living, but it's impressive all the same.
    Thanks, some very impressive trees pics on that site. Such size grandeur, nobility, regal silence........

Ficus on a roof

Sorry this pic is not very clear. I took it early this morning when my dogs were taking me for a walk.
    On the right side of the garage roof is a ficus just as happy as it can be. The aerial roots stretched
    all the way to the ground. Now that the roots have reached the ground the ficus will take off in a huge growth spurt. I can only imagine the damage the roots have already done to the flat roof on this garage.

Not a tree house but a tree on a house...........jejejeej
    Attached Images

Bonsai Apprentice jueston is on a distinguished road
    i wonder how much they want for that awesome tree house.... i might have to mortgage everything i own, but i think it would be worth it.... my girlfriend might not be completely happy with the decision either... :\

Bonsai Apprentice Charles M is on a distinguished road
    A year or two ago, when I pruned a Ginseng Ficus, I stuck all the cut off branches in a pot of soil. They all took root. I recently picked up the pot to check their progress and pull a few weeds. Even though the pot was sitting on a retaining wall a good eight inches above the nearest soil, one of the little trees had put a root out the drain hole, down the side of the wall, and into the soil!

Administrator SlimGenre has disabled reputation SlimGenre's Avatar
    Ficus are amazing plants. I remember when I helped my folks move to south Florida about 10 years ago, I just drove around town for days looking at all the jungles growing in everyone's front yard and was fascinated by the aerial rooting. Living out here in SW Colorado I have a few indoor ficus, but nothing will ever put out roots like the ones my parents can grow in south florida. Although, I will have a greenhouse this year, so I may be able to force it.

Does anyone have some strangler-fig cuttings they would want to send me?

Move at the speed of the tree
    - BonsaiZombie

Bonsai Apprentice terry davis is on a distinguished road
    I am more concerned with Burt Davyii, as it produces copious seed. If these are fertile (not a given), in South Florida it could be the next Brazilian Pepper Tree. Anyone know if the seed are viable?

Administrator SirSpeedy1 has disabled reputation SirSpeedy1's Avatar
    Terry, from what I have read Burt Davyi needs to be fertilized by the Fig Wasp in order to be viable.
    Make friends with a squirrel. Climb a tree and act like a nut...

I've been bonsai'd by the big guy in the sky

+ Reply to Thread