+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lakes in Algonquin Park

Banned

Lakes in Algonquin Park

At last I just came back from 3 days on the Western Uplands trail in Algonquin Park with my 10 year-old son. We intentionally stayed at Maggie Lake our first night and
    Ramona Lake the second. Aside from the extra weight I casrried to help my son get through the Maggie to Ramona stretch my only problem was that Ramona
    Lake is a dump (poor water acces, campsites on top of one another, etc).
    Maggei, on the other hand, was a delight except for confusion between where campsites were shown on the map vs where they actually were. If I were to do it again I'd stop at Oak or Panther Lakes the second day and tack on the
    3-4 km up to Ramona to the third day as the last 8 km after Ramona is a breeze.

I'd like to get my wife involved as well but she won't be able to handle the kind of work a 3 or 4-day hike involkves. Does anyone know of any Algonquin lakes similar to Maggie we could reach with a hike < 10km? Of course, we could just hike in to Maggie, stay a day, then hike back, but I like to try something new each time out.

Banned

re:Lakes in Algonquin Park

Earlier I agree re lack of scenery & canoeing being a better option. My problem is Id be the only one noisily paddling ;-)
    At least, whether we're hiking, than I can share the work.

Forgot about decidedly provoking Lake as I've heard some good reports about it. Maybe we'll give it a try.

Banned

re:Lakes in Algonquin Park

well usually I dont do much backpacking in the park but so many of the backpacking lakes have not been seen by me. But Head lake is nice and pretty big so you have nice views. You could do the loop at lets say ...

1st night provoking lake 2nd head then hike out maybe?

not many options in my opinion in Algonquin its made for canoe tripping. If you wanted to do that I have many recommendations.

Wow, I stayed on Ramona lake for two nights back in 1987. We stayed there because of the access to the Western Uplands Trail. Previous to that we stayed on Drummer Lake or Little Drummer and worked our way to Ramona from that direction.

But yeah, ramona is not the nicest. To get to out campsite on shore, we would get in the middle of the lake and paddle fast to shore so we could glide over the swampy stinking shore. lol Good times.
    Last edited by Gordie; 09-23-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    Backcountry Camping

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

+ Reply to Thread