+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Rain And Fleece..

  1. #21
    Senior Member desdemona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    347

    Rain And Fleece..

    Cotton might be breathable all by itself, seems to be reasonably so, but it isn't too breathable as a layer.
    Take last week. I am still quite a newbie, and I don't have a lot of materials/clothes.

    I went out on what turned out an all day trek. After an hour of hiking up and building up a lot of sweat, I started cooling off (higher elevations are cooler). And I was actually a little cold and uncomfortable. If it had much colder I would have miserable (I doubt it would have killed me, and if worse came to worse I could always take off the under layers for I had a reasonably windproof jacket.

    I have heard very good things about Coolmax. Actually got socks made of this, though not for hiking. CoolMax is used by the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan so it is really cool too. (As well as not getting you colder should you get sweaty.) It is also inexpensive, or reasonably so.

    I suppose if you hike in desert flats where it stays hot, I have heard of hikers who prefer cotton.

    --des

  2. #22
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,977

    Rain And Fleece..

    Hey Alex, that looks great. The features sound good as well Thanks for sharing this review.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hershey
    Posts
    1,015

    Rain And Fleece..

    i buy my wool/under armour socks at 2nd hand stores like tj max or marshalls.

  4. #24
    Senior Member desdemona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    347

    Re:Rain And Fleece..

    I should check out the TJs and Marshalls re: Coolmax t-shirts. I really need the base layer. I wore 50-50 polyester-cotton, which worked semi-better. It still did get damp though. OTOH, I have some kind of synthetic pants and long johns. Actually got my pants wet in a little stream. They totally dried out, and were not even cold when wet. I have no idea what they are, they are Adidas is all I know. I pull tags off everything.


    --des

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    27

    Re:Rain And Fleece..

    Is coolmax similar to the underarmor fabric? I know underarmor is no longer authorised for use in Afghanistan/Iraq as it melts onto skin when contacted with flame. I personally find Icebreaker base/mid layers outstanding. It regulates the build up of sweat very well. The baselayer trousers are the best, as I rarely feel over heated when I'm indoors when compared to synthetic ones.

  6. #26
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,977

    Re:Rain And Fleece..

    hikingPA wrote:
    i buy my wool/under armour socks at 2nd hand stores like tj max or marshalls.
    This might sound pretty dumb but, aren't you 'weary' of bacteria or something that could have stick in those socks when other people were wearing them? :unsure:

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hershey
    Posts
    1,015

    Re:Rain And Fleece..

    nah man i dont mean a consignment shop (as in, someone else owned it). it's a store that gets like factory rejects b/c the label is on crooked or a spot of bleech got on it, or it just plain is out of fashion...

    i never tested the 'under armour to flame' thing. i would assume it does melt (as opposed to just plain old catching on fire). both would kinda suck...

  8. #28
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,977

    Re:Rain And Fleece..

    :laugh:


    Okay! See here the misunderstandings when communicating in another language :laugh: Here in Israel secondhand shops are shops people buy used clothes, while what you mean is here 'factory-shops' or 'second-choice' shops :laugh:

  9. #29
    Senior Member desdemona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    347

    Re:Rain And Fleece..

    natchez wrote:
    :laugh:


    Okay! See here the misunderstandings when communicating in another language :laugh: Here in Israel secondhand shops are shops people buy used clothes, while what you mean is here 'factory-shops' or 'second-choice' shops :laugh:
    I think its not so much language as background knowledge (ah hah, my reading teacher face shows itself). TJ Max and Marshalls etc sell name brand, new, good quality stuff, but is often discontinued, last year model, sometimes mild seconds (things you can't see, etc. We also have thrift and second hand shops. I would buy a jacket, but not socks!!

    --des

  10. #30
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,977

    Re:Rain And Fleece..

    desdemona wrote:
    natchez wrote:
    :laugh:


    Okay! See here the misunderstandings when communicating in another language :laugh: Here in Israel secondhand shops are shops people buy used clothes, while what you mean is here 'factory-shops' or 'second-choice' shops :laugh:
    I think its not so much language as background knowledge (ah hah, my reading teacher face shows itself). TJ Max and Marshalls etc sell name brand, new, good quality stuff, but is often discontinued, last year model, sometimes mild seconds (things you can't see, etc. We also have thrift and second hand shops. I would buy a jacket, but not socks!!

    --des

    True

    But. . . (you knew there would come a 'but' right? :lol: )


    when describing an action without a brand name it is usually interpreted by local language, automatically


    The shop you are talking about doesn't exist here and so when mentioning 'second hand' shops one usually takes the meaning that is known to him

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts