Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Living Stone

Administrator Sayuri has disabled reputation

Re:Living Stone

{Feel-good-0002006E}

Senior Member DrSmith is infamous around these parts DrSmith's Avatar

I've fallen flat on my face with the lithops and come unstuck. To be honest, the label is as much at fault as my own error. What I learned is never water one of these plants as you would a bonsai or even a money tree. On mine the leaves just rotted like old prunes and many dropped off.
    Another snag is I wasn't sure it was a living stone for some days as none of the pics I found on websites looked at all like my specimen. Mine looked like a more rubbery version of a money tree and lighter green and it had multiple branches spiralling upwards.
    I've now taken a last ditch gamble to try and keep the lithops alive and kicking. Somehow I doubt it will work. Seeing as leaves were dropping off right left and centre, I removed the plant from its compost and replaced with pure akadama which was bone dry. The hope is osmosis will draw some of the moisture out of the plant and absorb back into the drier, clay compost.
    When I removed the stem, I found hundreds of tiny white globules amongst the peat compost but not fixed to the roots. What's left of the plant is now in the kitchen in a pot of akadama. I guess even if it recovers, it's gonna take a while for all those leaves to grow back. It does have some whole leaves left so just maybe the lithops won't snuff it totally.

tiny white globules
    What would that be?

Super Moderator mikey012076 has disabled reputation mikey012076's Avatar

DrSmith wrote:
    I've fallen flat on my face with the lithops and come unstuck. To be honest, the label is as much at fault as my own error. What I learned is never water one of these plants as you would a bonsai or even a money tree. On mine the leaves just rotted like old prunes and many dropped off.
    Another snag is I wasn't sure it was a living stone for some days as none of the pics I found on websites looked at all like my specimen. Mine looked like a more rubbery version of a money tree and lighter green and it had multiple branches spiralling upwards.
    I've now taken a last ditch gamble to try and keep the lithops alive and kicking. Somehow I doubt it will work. Seeing as leaves were dropping off right left and centre, I removed the plant from its compost and replaced with pure akadama which was bone dry. The hope is osmosis will draw some of the moisture out of the plant and absorb back into the drier, clay compost.
    When I removed the stem, I found hundreds of tiny white globules amongst the peat compost but not fixed to the roots. What's left of the plant is now in the kitchen in a pot of akadama. I guess even if it recovers, it's gonna take a while for all those leaves to grow back. It does have some whole leaves left so just maybe the lithops won't snuff it totally.
    Does it look any thing like this?
    Attached Images

Sayuri wrote:
    tiny white globules
    What would that be?
    It could be small new root ends growing, when he took it out they could have been to weak and broke off. Or it was mold from being to wet.

iluvatar wrote:
    :woohoo:
    That is really small!!
    how do you take care of it? do you water it with an eye dropper??
    :huh:
    Water bottle sprayer, but eye droper would work.

It looks very similar. This is the closest image I've seen to it.
    It's still in pretty bad shape but I think I made the right decision once I figured out I'd hugely over-watered.
    The thing is, I've always generously watered my money trees and have never had problems. I water my money trees randomly. Five days can pass and then I spray a good dose of water around the trunk but never soaking. My money trees have thrived always. I have one that's now 4 years old and it's a really nice, deep green and healthy.
    When I bought the living stone, I noticed the lower leaves had been dropping off in the shop and, as it was bone dry, I concluded it needed water once I got it home. Plus, the label said water well.
    I opened up a leaf that had dropped and off and saw it was like a juicy grape inside - filled with water. Rather than throw what was left of the plant away, I took it out of the pot and shook off the compost. I then stuck it in the dry Akadama. The plan is now to leave it and let nature take its course. Definitely no more water. Possibly the moisture may absorb from the plant into the drier compost by osmosis and I may work a miracle. But if it continues to drop leaves and deteriorate it will have to go in the bin and I put it down to experience.

mikey012076 wrote:
    DrSmith wrote:

What's the name of this lithops you uploaded, any idea? As I said, I went for a repot after shaking off the moist peat and tried akadama. About 50 per cent of the leaves had dropped by this stage, turning purple and black in blotches and rotting. I figure if over the next few weeks the leaves harden up, it may pull through but it will take ages to get the old growth back if it survives as lithops are very slow growers.
    I only paid about 2 dollars for it as it was dropping lower leaves in the store - therefore a price reduction.

mikey012076 wrote:
    DrSmith wrote:

mikey012076 wrote:
    Sayuri wrote:
    tiny white globules
    What would that be?
    It could be small new root ends growing, when he took it out they could have been to weak and broke off. Or it was mold from being to wet.
    thank you

DrSmith wrote:
    What's the name of this lithops you uploaded, any idea? As I said, I went for a repot after shaking off the moist peat and tried akadama. About 50 per cent of the leaves had dropped by this stage, turning purple and black in blotches and rotting. I figure if over the next few weeks the leaves harden up, it may pull through but it will take ages to get the old growth back if it survives as lithops are very slow growers.
    I only paid about 2 dollars for it as it was dropping lower leaves in the store - therefore a price reduction.
    The photo I put up is a photo of a Jade plant, it is as close as you are going to get to a living stone.

+ Reply to Thread