+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15
FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: How to make a Pepsi can stove.

I love this idea so I just had to have a go at making one its a little bit smaller tho
    The smell of the bush after rain, the solitude and isolation, just you and the track with the birds singing
    the crickets and cicada chirping.

Life is what you make it

Quote Originally Posted by GDeadPhans View Post
    That is a sweet little stove. Whats the 2 cup boil time? I am in the process of collecting materials to make a Starlyte stove. Just need to get in my attic to get some fiberglass insulation.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hol_stove.html

Only instead of having the pot stand built in I am going to use a caldera cone as both a windscreen and pot holder. Already have the aluminum flashing just need to cut one out. Was also thinking of making the stove like a MBD moodoo, with the fuel line to the bottle deal. All I would have to do is attach a nipple to the bottom and walla.
    I like this design, I might try to make one out a Crosman pellet tin, their about 3.5'' in diameter and make a stand for it.
    I have also just got thru making another one using 2 cans instructed in a video in this thread, I'll try to use it and see what happens.

Wrote this earlier : I have tried to make several of these and none really worked. I've made some with just 2 cans with holes in the top of one and I can never get it to lite and I made one with and inner wall out of the can stapled (instead of using Red Bull) and it lites but when I put a pot on top it snuffs it out.
    The best one I made is out of a RWS pellet tin with holes in top, all I need is to do now is make a pot stand and I think it will work good.

Just tried my new one out, not so good. It seems to keep snuffing the flame out when I put something on top.If there was about 1/8'' gap between the pot and stove I think it would work better or I could just make a stand. Would small hole in the side of the can help to get ventilation?

Hey Guys, I know its been a while since I got on here....

I'm still using the pepsi can stoves, mainly because they are so lightweight. 11.7 grams for a stove is awesome. Not even a MSR whisperlite can come close to that.
    Hopefully you guys are having fun building them and even more importantly....using them on the trail!

Since I did this thread, I've used a couple of new tips for them.

1. Take one of the stove halves and press it down on the bottom of a full can of pepsi to stretch the aluminum, then there's no need to crimp it when you put it together. It just slides right together.

2. Trick about priming for hard to start stoves. If you are using the stove , put a square of tin foil under the stove, pour a capful of fuel on the tin foil, set the stove on top, and then light the fuel on the tin foil. It will heat up the stove quickly, and within seconds....the jets are shooting flames, and your ready to cook.

3. Harbor Freight has micro drill bits now, and they are SUPERB for drilling the jet holes in the sides of the can at sizes that make perfect efficient flames.

about what size should the bits be?
    Help preserve the Environment - Teach Compassion for Wild Animals

I'll have to measure.... I think Ive been using the .05mm to .07mm bits lately. Think hole the diameter of a pencil lead from a mechanical pencil. Seems to be just perfect.

+ Reply to Thread