+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: daily distance to cover?

daily distance to cover?

I've never been on a hike that has lasted longer than a day. I'm looking at going on a week long trip and was wondering what I should expect as far as the distance I could cover during a day. What would be a feasible number of miles?

daily distance to cover?

Who can say? So much depends on terrain, conditions, altitude, and such its hard to blindly say what to expect in the form of miles.
    Be wary of making a huge jump from dayhiking to a week long trip, it may do more then just test your stamina, it may put you in a dangerous situation. I would say warm up with some weekend outings and see how you feel at a variety of miles, then look at a weeklong trip. After your warmup hikes pick out your destination route and you'll have a better idea of how it'll work for you.

Banned

daily distance to cover?

When I go on long hikes, usually I have a long day of hiking followed by a short day of hiking. A long day for me is 10 miles. A short day would be 5 miles. With a full pack, 10 miles is a pretty long day for me. I appreciate the shorter days, especially if I'm not in great hiking condition. It gives me and my party chance to rest and enjoy the wilderness. You should probably plan on a short day for your first day, unless you hit the trail early in the morning.

The daily mileage is also dependant on campsites and watersources. Often you have to plan around these factors.

Enjoy your hike!

Administrator

daily distance to cover?

Newhiker, welcome here to the forum

If you've never been on more than one-day hikes, why do you chose to go on a weeklong hike the first time you're trying to hike overnight? :S

(Sorry if this sounds impertinent, but that question was the first thing that entered my head when I read your posting)

I would try a 3-4 day hike (but then that's just me :blush:

daily distance to cover?

I started with day hikes, worked up to weekend hikes and now I am starting to do more and more each trip.

Best thing to do is find a loop hike that is not too far, 20-25 miles. Plan a 4 day trip to complete the whole thing. So at 4 days to cover 20 miles, you can do 5 miles a day or more with plenty of time to do it. Doing 5 miles with no pack is not hard for most people, it's when you add 30-60 pounds onto your back that it gets tougher. Having an out is also a good plan when you first start, just in case.

For example, my next trip is 85 miles, we are starting with a 4 mile day to start, because we will be starting late in the day, then looking to do between 15-20 a day depending on the weather/trail conditons. We will have a car at the midway point just in case we have to bail or get behind for some reason. Also, it lightens our packs because we can leave food for the 2nd half in that car.

daily distance to cover?

Newhiker,

Try not to worry so much about distance covered. Your hike should reflect the conditions, and it's important to remain flexible. There's no quicker way to ruin a hike than with too much planning.

Scott Joly
    scott_joly@ftml.net
    www.alcazarmountain.com<br><br>Post edited by: jolySE, at: 2007/04/27 17:40

Administrator

daily distance to cover?

I agree, Scott

wow, good old thread which didnt get enough attention

I'd say, oh, about ten miles a day, thats a good round number and is very do-able

much depends on your:
    flexibility
    and of course the terrain you're covering
    also even the weather plays a factor

but still, ten miles a day is probably the norm
    Help preserve the Environment - Teach Compassion for Wild Animals

Dittos with the latter posts, taking weather and terrain into consideration, 5-10 miles I think is adequate depending on your physical conditioning of course....

Cheers,
    Serge
    SENTIRE-PENSARE-VOLERE

SERGEMASTER

I normally tramp about twenty kilometers a day.
    Thats on a good day.

+ Reply to Thread