+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tent heater trick

Banned

Tent heater trick

One of my friends just sent me an e-mail describing a trick that he devised to make his ten heater more efficient. He uses the small Coleman catalytic heater to keep his tent warmer and dryer in the winter. The problem is that in a two or three man tent most of the heat goes to the top of the tent and if conditions are cold and windy enough, it has only a marginal impact on the temperature on the floor of the tent. about a foot over their heads as they were lying down in their sleeping bags, like a dropped ceiling. heater had to warm by 1/3 or more. In addition to that the radiant heat from the heater was reflected by the space blanket back onto him and his son. The sides of the space blanket draped down vertically providing a little reflective insulation on the sides of the tent too. hovering around zero and a pretty stiff wind, he slept all night with his sleeping bag unzipped and partially open. while you are sleeping, yet a lot of folks do exactly that. Is it dangerous? It could be. My friend carries a small battery powered smoke / carbon monoxide detector that he hangs from a gear bag so he is probably pretty safe from CO poisoning and fire. bringing a heater into the woods. When you consider that this very lightweight heater can run for between sixteen and eighteen hours on a tank of fuel, it is indeed a creature comfort that can make a cold winter night a bit more tolerable. that when it is really cold that it will not work very well or possibly not at all. It is not to difficult to heat up the gas cylinder with a hand warmer or two wrapped in foam insulation. Hot water works just as well. Once the heater has run for a short time, it should heat the surrounding area enough to keep running without any external heat source.

Banned

Re:Tent heater trick

The only drawback I see to all of this is... WEIGHT! Good lord! Taking a space blanket, extra fuel for the heater, the heater itself. Cripes. I mean, eighteen hours on one fuel cannister isn`t bad, but how many hours a night do you sleep? 6-8? So at most you`d bonk on fuel after three nights. Aye yi yi. I just couldn`t do it. Having a toasty tent sounds great, but I`m more concerned with keeping my pack weight to 20 pounds.

Banned

with eating enough, is probably a better long-term strategy.
    Not everyone gets into cold the same way, though.
    Besides, you will appreciate the wonders of central heating so much more when you get home.
    Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Pine makes me itchy...but I find a nice pile of Bear dung keeps my pillow warm for at least an hour. *sic*
    BV.

. Also, if

With two bags zipped together,and two people in it, there is a LARGE opening around the head/neck which results in loosing a lot of heat.

Banned

occasionally wake up during the winter, so there is a minimal level of activity overall, not zero.
    Same precautions should apply where other types of bears are as well.

Banned

add a bottom part which hold sleeping pads, no other insulation.
    The half sleeping bag would not be usable alone.

Banned

have two different weight down bags (Osprey and Grouse) plus their nylon base that zips to either bag when open. ThermaRests go on the bottom for insulation there. This provides several different combination possibilities for one or two people that has served us well under a very wide range of temperature conditions. The system is also very light and simple (unlike some of the other designs).

Banned

I was thinking of. Nice versatile system.
    Maybe this "light and simple" design concept will catch on with manufacturers.

+ Reply to Thread