+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone know places to go hiking in southern NY?

Anyone know places to go hiking in southern NY?

Title says it all. I live in southern NY, and looking for places to got hiking/camping. Something I've taken an interest in over the past couple months. If anybody knows of places to go. feel free to respond
    "A goal without a plan is a dream."

Try Bear Mountain and also the Storm King that's located a tad more north of Bear. If you look, you;ll find allot of cool places to hike and camp in southern NY.

Cheers,
    Serge
    SENTIRE-PENSARE-VOLERE

SERGEMASTER

The Hudson River valley has some nice trails, but I doubt if this poster is here for anything other than spamming us for his "Sports Auction" website.

Dittos what serge says. The AT is in southern new york. If you go a little farther the Catskills and Adrondacks. NY has a bunch of trails. Poke around google you will find something suitable.
    "Do not fear mistakes, there are none" - Miles Davis

I've been to bear mountain, storm king, around the Shawangunk region, Minnewaska state park. I'm itching to start up around the Catskills because I know there's tons of trail up there, been there a few times the views are awesome.
    I've done tons of Google searches, just thought I'd look some different opinions or ideas. I'm thinking about going up one night with a couple friends like a friday, setting up camp, then go hiking Saturday. A lot of the camp grounds I found are really family orientated, I'm looking to do some more serious stuff. I remember going up with the boy scouts back in the day, we went to some gnarly trails up in the Catskills. I can't remember where they were, or if they're even open to the public or if you need special permission to go there.
    -Zander

Yeah Yeah I'm not here to spam.

you would probably need a backpacking permit like many other places. They are free in most places, its just to keep tabs and in case someone has been lost for a whole they can narrow it down to who was lost.

but yea definitely do it up. Sweet avatar btw.

I had a Firebird trans am, third gen though. Would love me one of them first gens!
    "Do not fear mistakes, there are none" - Miles Davis

I'm going to be going on a day hike up to the ice caves located in the Shawangunk Mountain range near Ellenville, NY in the next month or two with some friends. Of what I'm told, these caves are absolutely phenomenal.

Cheers,
    Serge
    SENTIRE-PENSARE-VOLERE

SERGEMASTER

Well, I guess you can generally hike anywhere through any of the trails or through the woods as long as it's not part of any special areas or nature preserves. And camping is allowed as long as it's something like 150 feet away from the trails or any water source, unless specially marked. And as far as I can tell you only need a permit if your going with more then 10 people or if your staying longer then 3 nights. But I don't think I'll be able to take a trip up there until the fall, A bunch of people I talked about doing it with said it would work better and one of em has surgery coming up and can't do much walking, let alone hike in the mountains haha.

Yeah, I don't know there's just something about the cars coming out nowadays, they look too "plasticy". I'm a sucker for classic muscle cars. Total gas hogs though, pretty bad for the environment.
    Last edited by Zander; 04-16-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergemaster View Post
    I'm going to be going on a day hike up to the ice caves located in the Shawangunk Mountain range near Ellenville, NY in the next month or two with some friends. Of what I'm told, these caves are absolutely phenomenal.
    I've been up there twice, sadly both times most of the ice was melted, but despite that there were some great views and I had a great time.

+ Reply to Thread