+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hellp, my elms seem to be stunted!!!!

Bonsai Apprentice Howard is on a distinguished road

Hellp, my elms seem to be stunted!!!!

Just wanted to post some big boy elms for you. The elm on the left is 3 1/2 inches tall and the one on the right is 2 1/4 inches tall. Hope there are others here who also like mame bonsai.

Happy bonsai ing
    Howard

Mighty elms 2 08 20 2010..jpg

Super Moderator iamurthman has disabled reputation iamurthman's Avatar
    Wow! That's the biggest bic lighter I've ever seen. Makes the trees look really small.

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    Oh come on. You're gonna give the poor little things a complex teasing them like that.

Maybe you shouldn't have let them drink so much coffee.

I will definitely trim them before a hurricane comes through. I don't want them falling over on my house.

Howard

Administrator SlimGenre has disabled reputation SlimGenre's Avatar
    the comparison to the lighter plays with the eyes a bit, made me chuckle... they're gorgeous... gratz

Move at the speed of the tree
    - BonsaiZombie

Bonsai Apprentice Seanstar1 is on a distinguished road
    They're nicely proportioned for being so small. Nice job.

Thanks Seanstar1. Love Western MA......the colleges, landscape, Tanglewood (musican-pipe organist), Amherst College, Emily Dickinson Museum, Dr. Suess Memorial (I avoid the Susan B. Anthony Museum because I am not in favor of temperance jejejeje) Thanks for your interest in nature and bonsai.

Howard

Howard,
    Are these a special varient of Chinese Elm?

I ask because I've done some reading on mame and found Hokkaido and Seiju Chinese Elms being used in bonsai in smaller-than-mame bonsai.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

Quote Originally Posted by mKlRivPwner View Post
    Howard,
    Are these a special varient of Chinese Elm?

I ask because I've done some reading on mame and found Hokkaido and Seiju Chinese Elms being used in bonsai in smaller-than-mame bonsai.
    The first two little elms are Ulmus parvifolia 'Catlin' .... a sport off a regular elm discovered in the 1950's I think. The Hokkaido elm was a sport off a Catlin elm with tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny leaves. Very slow growing, with brittle stems thus not doing well with wiring. The stems will break off with a person just swishing by them or touching them.
    The Seiju is a sport of the Hokkaido discovered in the 1980's I think and includes all the good points of the Hokkaido and is faster growing, faster trunk growth, not brittle, etc.
    The Hokkaido and Seiju have problems one being they have bad die back in the winter of stems and branches. Both sports would probably not survive in the wild on their own for very long. The Catlin is great for small bonsai with very few problems.

1st pic of Catlin elms again, 2nd and 3rd are of seiju elm first showing winter die back and the second in training shows new growth in the fall down here in South Florida, and the last pics
    are my Hokkaido elm which has been growing out. It will be pruned removing all large branches in spring (air layering all large branches and tip cuttings for rooting) It already has a nice trunk for mame size bonsai.

I am presently growing Ulmus parvifolia 'Catlin', Hokkaido, Seiju, Frosty (white margins on leaves and pink leaves in fall), and Yatsubushi (almost inch long leaves with a funny shape for an elm)
    Catlin Elms are no problem trees. They are a joy to grow. They are used in the most small of bonsai with the Seiju and Hokkaido.

Yes, I have too many trees. jejeje
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Howard; 11-10-2010 at 07:37 PM.

I love your trees.

The first Seiju looks amazing. Shame about the dieback. I guess up here (PA) that more or less excludes their use. Not unless I decide to build a heated greenhouse for winter protection.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

+ Reply to Thread