+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: get down tonight

get down tonight

can't do a little dance, can't make a little love, but I can get DOWN tonight!

I was born very allergic to goose down, and I always thought I would be so. so all my life Ive lived without getting down.

Ive camped without any down products for hundreds of cold nights with only man made fibers.

but the week before last, someone in my neighborhood threw away a fine goose down coat, probably because it had a little bit of red paint on a sleeve. It was probably a spoiled eighth grader from henry school, because thats where it was near. for some reason, I took it.

I've tried it and I dont seem to be allergic to it at all anymore. well, more specifically, there were no additional symptoms of allergies over and above those from the tree pollen here.

Now I totally love this coat. Its SO much warmer than ANY of the man made fibers Ive had. and it fluffs up so much better than man made fibers. I can see why goose down is such a useful thing to bring camping.

Now I do not recommend to anyone out there to actually BUY one of these coats, because they actually kill animals to make them. but if any of you ever find a goose down coat, don't pass it by. Its really an excellent thing to have in the woods.
    Help preserve the Environment - Teach Compassion for Wild Animals

That is grate that you are not allergic any more. I try not to buy anything that supports the meaningless slaughter of animals.
    I have 4 pet geese I hate the thought of cloths made from them.
    I was given a wool and down jacket by my boss for work and they are really warm.
    Last edited by mic; 04-02-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    The smell of the bush after rain, the solitude and isolation, just you and the track with the birds singing
    the crickets and cicada chirping.

Life is what you make it

I found this on Yahoo answers. The writer said he saw it on Discovery Channel. I don't agree that birds raised for meat are usually treated humanely.

No, No, NO!!!
    They naturally shed the feathers. Either in a natural process called molting (once or twice a year all birds shed feathers like pet cats and dogs shed) or when they breed. The birds pull the feathers out themselves and make nests on the ground. People come by before the eggs are layed and take a small handful of the feathers. This has been happening for hundreds of years and the birds have no problem replacing the feathers taken.
    This is true of Elderdown feathers. That's why Elderdown products are so expensive.
    OR
    The birds are bred for the meat trade. They are slaughtered for the meat and the feathers go for pillows. Contrary to popular belief, meat animals are usually treated and killed humanely.
    There are exceptions of course, and there are nut jobs out there that think we shouldn't eat animals, but that's a different question.

I hope this helps.

Source(s):

I saw this on the Discovery Channel. They showed the whole process of gathering, cleaning (facinating process) and stuffing the pillows.

thats pretty cool, Mic. Ive never heard of pet geese before. do they do anything funny or unusual? I know chickens can be taught to play tic tac toe and beat a man at it, and that pet crows usually hop around the house stealing shiny things, but what do geese do?

Mine always march one by one in a row when they are coming up from my dam to their favourite paddock
    they take turns sleeping while two keep watch.
    They climb up on a big rock that my apple tree is growing over and pull the apples off, they love apples.
    their better watch dog then my dog.
    The smell of the bush after rain, the solitude and isolation, just you and the track with the birds singing

Life is what you make it

so they alert you to newcomers to your yard? thats useful.

do they play?

that they do or even a unknown animal.

not that I have seen yet.

Life is what you make it

oh well. if they ever molt you shouldnt throw the feathers away thats for sure. good luck with them

thank you, they have just finished there yearly molt.

Life is what you make it

Usually, I don't wear a big outer coat. But for my outermost layer I have one of those "Omnitech" jackets by Columbia. It really keeps the heat in, and it's waterproof. Just pair one of those with a good fleece and you should be set.
    "A goal without a plan is a dream."

+ Reply to Thread