+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coastal Redwood needles turning Red, what is going on?

Bonsai Apprentice Redwooddude is on a distinguished road

Coastal Redwood needles turning Red, what is going on?

I bought my first Coastal Redwood last September and I recently took it inside because of the cold New England weather. It gets plenty of water everyday but it's needles are turning red and I am not sure why. Please help.

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    Sorry to put it so plainly, but it's because the tree is inside. Pines need a LOT of exposure, not just to light, but to air flow, humidity, and temperatures.

What grow zone are you in? You are probably better off leaving the tree outside and winterizing the tree with mulch, or pot burying.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

Bonsai Apprentice Howard is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwooddude View Post
    I bought my first Coastal Redwood last September and I recently took it inside because of the cold New England weather. It gets plenty of water everyday but it's needles are turning red and I am not sure why. Please help.
    Any plant can be grown anywhere if you meet its requirements!!!!!!!!! I love Coastal Redwood trees and they make great bonsai. If you overwinter Coastal Redwood in the house, they need to be in an area of high humidity, of good air circulation. with a light source and not too warm (most conifers like cooler temps in winter). I grow a lot of tropical plants indoors in the winter but in a room with high humidity, with warmth, air movement and light. You could set up a growing area inside where the heat doesn't dry out the air, plenty of humidity with adequate light, and not too hot etc (a plastic enclosed area or an indoor greenhouse growing area so to speak) or you could set up a cold frame outside which would shelter the tree from your severest cold temperatures, protect from freezing and keep the cold wind from drying out atmosphere. The Coastal Redwood forests mean annual minimum temperatures vary from -12 C (10 F) for coastal points to -1 C (30 F) for the eastern edge of the redwood type. Temperatures rarely drop below -9 C (15 F). I imagine the leaves turned red from a too dry condition unless you have had some early severe cold snaps. (Coastal Redwoods are evergreens contrary to Dawn Redwoods which are deciduous.)

I enjoy growing plants which require special treatment in my environs (zone 10). That includes putting many deciduous in cold storage in the winter so they will wake up after dormancy. I have a great ginkgo tree which I have to cold storage in the winter and grow in the shade in the heat of the summer. My dawn redwood needs to be grown in the shade here during the summer and I sprinkle the outside of the pot to keep plant cooler(along with my Wrightia religiosa and my azaleas) in the dead of summer.

Protecting your Coastal Redwood outside would be easier than harboring the "spoiled bonsai" inside. But it is not impossible to meet the Coastal Redwood's needs inside. Good luck with your tree............. Howard
    Last edited by Howard; 11-15-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Bonsai Apprentice Redwooddude is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the information, it has been warmer now then it was when I took it in so I will let it be outside while I figure out where it will stay during the winter.

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    What's your grow zone? Typical winter temps? How much snow? It's possible that the tree may be best to stay outdoors over winter with some protection.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

+ Reply to Thread