+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What kinda of mattress for frameless backpack?

If you think "mattress" you will get something big and bulky. Think "pad" instead. Most would only get a half pad. Most will tie it on the bottom of the pack. Some on the top.

Personally, I don't use one. I would just roll off it anyway. I'm a warm sleeper, so don't need one. If it's a little colder, I just put my fleece under the bag.

fascinating. I think he is making his own backpack, not asking about a sleeping pad. and I think the answer is no, they used to use a piece of canvas tied taut around the frame as a back support. when stretched properly across the back of the backpack, it would provide good support for the lower back but did tend to become hot and sweaty. then they used mesh instead of canvas.
    good luck
    Help preserve the Environment - Teach Compassion for Wild Animals

WhiteOak,

I think you are right. I used a homemade Yukon pack up until last summer. I would just pack it so soft things were against my back. Last year, I "modernized" and started using an external frame pack.

(I also have a couple internal frame packs that were given to me. I mostly use those for grocery shopping.)

Banned
    Maybe I should rephrase my question. Are foam pads the only sleeping pad you can use for the internal frame for a frameless backpack? Or could you use a airpad instead of foam? I am looking for a more confortable sleep after trekking all day.. and I haven't read alot of good things about the confort of a foam pad. Thanks for the feedback and sorry the confusion.

yes, you can use any pad you like.

Banned
    I have a Thermarest Neoair. It is 3 1/2 thick and weighs less than a pound. It has changed the way I sleep in the woods. I am a restless sleeper and I sleep very well on it. It also provides just incredible insulation from the ground. Thermarest has released a slightly updated version so the price of the regular Neoairs is dropping. Deflated, I just roll it up in my Slumberjack sleeping bag and it takes up no additional space in the pack at all. I spent $139 on mine but it is some of the very best money I have ever spent and the price is falling.

Jailbright,

Sleep outside for a month without a pad and you may find you don't need one. If you can't sleep outside, sleep on the floor.

Your goal is a more comfortable sleep. I haven't found anything more comfortable than a hammock. This is a great hammock for learning about hanging. It is just $20. No need to get fancy hanging. Just get a couple of kayaking straps. You can get a tarp from Campmor for about $90. The whole system will be about 1.7 pounds.

Hammocks are good to about 40 degrees with a 20 degree bag. Ideally, use a bag that zips all the way down so you can pull it up like a sock over the hammock.

If you find you like a hammock, you can go to something like the Hennessy which has a bug screen and tarp. I wouldn't spend the money right off.

yeah I only use a sleeping pad if I know I'll be camping in rocky ground.

+ Reply to Thread