+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ficus nitida

Bonsai Apprentice orchidman is on a distinguished road orchidman's Avatar

ficus nitida

my uncle just gave me this ficus nitida mallsai. its not dead! any style ideas? im kind of stuck here!
    Attached Images

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    Personally, I'd chop the trunk just above the third or fourth branch. Then work on ramification to get a wide low spread like a banyan without the aerials.
    small_.jpg
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

Okay, I see what your getting at. Do you think its possible? What would the success rate be?

The "s" curve still bothers me a little bit. But I don't really know how to get around that. The trunk it 1" and definitely isn't not bendy enough.

Maybe I could just bend the main branch left or right instead of chopping? Or am I going the wrong direction here.

I have a good amount of literary knowledge and I've done some workshops. But I'm inexperienced when it comes to physically performing the chop. Do you think it's something I could do? As an intermediate. If I were to do the suggested trunk, when would be a good time? It's putting out new growth now. Is it okay in the pot size it is, instead of a larger roomier grow box? I really don't have room for anything bigger with all 40 of my orchids sharing the light fixtures.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do a vert! Please bear with me through the numerous and lengthy questions

Unfortunately I'm only now beginning research in the Ficus as well. I'm thinking about picking one up in spring to try my hand at something I can display on my desk at work.

Howard would be great to talk to about this, as would mikey and Slim.

From what I've read, Ficus are pretty tolerant of hard pruning, which should be done in the late winter/early spring, although it gets into grey area when dealing with indoor trees. It looks like the main branch is the result of a previous chop (scarring near the suggested chop site) and was growing to the right as you suggested. It could be bent back into place, although this could take several seasons of progressive wiring and anchoring.

If you go through with the chop, I would do it in late winter, when the early spring growth is going to be strongest. V-notch the trunk to encourage broom-like growth.
    - Slim Genre

Okay, thanks. I might give natures way a call too. I'm doing a tropical workshop there in about two weeks so I can learn more about Tripitaka in general. Thanks!

Should I message slim?

I talked to Gary at natures way. He really have me alot of confidence. So I think im going to chop it. He said around may would be best for ficus. Because it will be pushing growth hard.

So I just have to keep the roots healthy.

Do you think it's okay to repott it now though? Because the soil doesn't look so hot

If it can wait at least until the workshop, you might want to bring it their with you. Even if it doesn't get attention during the class, you should be able to ask all the questions you want about it.
    - Slim Genre

+ Reply to Thread