+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mother Nature and my boug bonsai

Bonsai Apprentice Howard is on a distinguished road

Mother Nature and my boug bonsai

Yesterday, Oct 27, I brought my bougainvillea bonsai inside because it was loaded with blooms.
    Last night I put it back outside and this morning at 5am a thunderstorm beat up my poor
    tree. Fortunately it is loaded with blooms and will be able to take a pic in a few days
    with it loaded with flowers.

It is a ten year old, 5 1/2" tall, 1 1/4 truck diameter at base and is in a 5" by 2 1/4" clay blub
    pot. Fortunately in South Florida weather permits use of these bulb pots for training.

It rained so hard that it knocked all the blooms and fruit off my tiny tim tomato plants. Hope all
    of your trees made it through the bad weather in the US yesterday.
    Attached Images

Bonsai Apprentice AntonJart is on a distinguished road AntonJart's Avatar
    This is very beautiful specie. I need something flowering too since we have about 3 hummingbirds living in the nearest tree.

Bonsai Apprentice ERdept is on a distinguished road
    Very nice. Was it cut close to the base to form the smaller branches?

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonJart View Post
    This is very beautiful specie. I need something flowering too since we have about 3 hummingbirds living in the nearest tree.
    Have you checked out Wisteria? It has a very nice appearence with gorgeous 'weeping' flower bunches. If I were to pick a flowering tree to work with, it'd be one of these.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    That's a great looking tree Howard! Can't wait to see it in bloom.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

Bonsai Apprentice Travis14 is infamous around these parts
    Howard i live over in naples and was wondering if i should fertelize this time of year. R u fertelizing ur boug?

Travis 14

Nice to know there is another Bonsai pal in the South Florida area. To try to answer your question, in South Florida or anywhere there is a long mild fall one should fertilize in the fall. The fall in such climates as ours is as long and nearly as productive as the spring growing season. Continue using nitrogen fertilizers or at least reduced nitrogen because the trees will shut down naturally due to shorter day lenght and cooler temperatures no matter how much nitrogen you give them. Last year
    I stopped fertilizing the end of November. It was apparent my plants had shut down. My Bougainvillea didn't bloom this year until the beginning of fall. It definitely didn't like all the cold last winter. So in early October I let it dry out for several days (until signs of wilting) before watering and it has gone into full blooming mode (The heavy blooming is caused by stress reaction). The bougainvillea blooms better if root bound (bougainvilleas don't like radical root pruning) Normally mine bloom two to three times a year but of course don't bloom during long days and short nights which is July and August in South Florida.

I try to fertilize with high phosphorus fertilizer with micronutrients as well as additional iron and magnesium. I use a good palm fertilizer with the micronutrients and iron and magnesium on my citrus, palms and bougainvillea. There is a fertilizer on the market called Bougain which is 6 8 10 with all the goodies but I haven't tried it. Hope I have helped a little

Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away.

Howard

Travis14

The University of Florida researchers have found that Bougainvillea plants flower best when given high nitrogen fertilizers and short day lengths (15 hours of darkness within every 24 hour period). I still do the stress routine even thought it is called old fashioned. jejejeje

Howard

ERdept,

I allowed the primary branches to grow out until thickness desired is reached and then cut back to desired length. The secondary branches I cut back to 1 or 2 or3 leaves when they grow out several leaves and the leaves have hardened. The next new growth on those secondary stems will have short internodes and be smaller in size. If you do this in the spring when the plant is sending out new growth on the secondary stems the next growth will be blooms. I keep cutting new secondary growth back keep to plant in shape and to cause more new growth to sprout until it is blooming time. The Bougainvillea is a vine. Most vines when treated in this manner act like a tree and stop their vining habits. I have a beautiful Carolina jasmine bonsai tree which no longer does the vine thing. This plant is a Bougainvillea Pixie also called Bougainvillea Mini Thai.

Hope I answered your question.

Howard

Bonsai Sensei Caisí M. is on a distinguished road
    Hey, Howard, would you mind posting a few pics of your Carolina jasmine? I always love vines as bonsai, especially jasmine!

+ Reply to Thread