+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Willow Bonsai

Bonsai Apprentice Vitki is on a distinguished road

Willow Bonsai

Hello all! I have been really interested in growing bonsai for the last few months and have started with a Willow Bonsai. All websites say that they need full sunlight - though mine seems to not be doing to well in the sun. The leaves are going brown and almost burning off (Only on the tips of some)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bonsai Apprentice Casey M. is on a distinguished road
    Have you been watering ok? Whats the weather like around where you live? Also, what's your grow zone? You can find the grow zone here: http://www.arborday.org/treeinfo/zonelookup.cfm

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    Vitki,
    Willows basically need plenty of sun and water. If you recently aquired the tree, or it has recently been repotted, it may just be acclimating itself to it's new environment. You should move it somewhere where it will get morning sun, but light shade from midday on. Leave it there until you start seeing new growth and don't fertilize until it is healthy enough to move back to full sun. They should also be repotted every year for young trees, and every two years for any tree over 15 years old. This is because the roots grow very rapidly, and the tree can essentially strangle itself.

To provide more help, we'll need more info, like Casey said. Pics of the trunk, leaves, soil, and overal situation would also help, but aren't always necessary.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

Yeah i've been watering it fine, I make sure the soil is never damp. I have totally 're-soiled' it recently, which I removed all the old soil and gave it some new (Taking the tree out in the process) Maybe thats why its being weird. I live in New Zealand, and I couldn't find the NZ grow zone anywhere..

It gets morning and mid afternoon sun, then after 12 it gets shade. I'll see how it goes, if the brown doesn't go away i'll post a few pics.

Thanks for the fast help guys!

P.S - I saw a site somewhere that said never allow the willow to receive direct sunlight - I presume this is false?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitki View Post
    P.S - I saw a site somewhere that said never allow the willow to receive direct sunlight - I presume this is false?
    If that were true, the willow I just got my cuttings from would have died a loooong time ago. They should be protected from scorching sun, especially in high temperatures, but they otherwise are very happy in sunny areas.
    - Slim Genre

"Like all Bonsai’s the Weeping Willow requires lots of indirect sunlight each day. It should never be put in direct sunlight. Its leaves will burn if it is placed in direct sunlight."

- http://www.weepingwillowtree.net/Wee...ow-Bonsai.html

I think that is what is happening, the leaves are turning reddish now >.< (Its early-mid summer where I am)

Bonsai Apprentice AntonJart is on a distinguished road AntonJart's Avatar
    If you keep your tree under hot burning sun for too long - the leaves would get burn.

Morning sun is best suitable is sumer.

I am a beginner too. As someone said, "Get ready to get dozens of trees more!" Its addictive

Bonsai Apprentice apples is on a distinguished road
    It would be easier to help with pictures of the particular problems. Could be a toxin in your soil or a pest, you know. Full sunlight is conditional on the climate, too.
    Last edited by apples; 11-01-2010 at 04:05 PM.

I'll be sure to upload pics tomorrow

I reckon it's burning, i've placed it in a more shady spot and I'm just seeing how it goes.

So true AntonJart! The art of Bonsai is very, very addicting.

My willow is only quite young, I grew it from a cutting and it was my first tree. I've only had it for about 3 months

Yes, very adictive. I started out with a (failed) attempt at a juniper because we were landscaping, and I was interested in the hobby, and the shrub was going to be destroyed otherwise. Now I have a store bought Serissa, three Willow cuttings, a Mountain Laurel that I'll begin training in the spring, and another Juniper that I need to find something to do with. Plus I'll be aquiring three azaleas over Thanksgiving holiday. Seems like one week it's a hobby and the next it's a lifestyle.
    - Slim Genre

+ Reply to Thread