+ Reply to Thread

Thread: leaves are turning brown please help

Bonsai Apprentice court is on a distinguished road

leaves are turning brown please help

this is my first bonsai, I'm not sure why but the leaves are slowly turning brown the only thing that I have done differently is replant it in different soil. I used schultz orchid mix and a tropical plant mix with peat moss, humus, compost and perlite, I also used a liquid plant food when i watered it. I have no idea why my ficus is doing this the only thing i have done differently is replant it so could that be what is doing it? although i did notice a little brown spot just before i replanted it so i'm not really thinking it's that. I was told that misting it with water was good for it once in a while but when do that it seems to leave the leaves coated in white stuff i'm pretty sure it's just the water residue though please help though

Bonsai Sensei Jimsai is on a distinguished road Jimsai's Avatar
    You shouldn't do any feeding for atleast 4-6 weeks after transplant. Give the roots time to heal. You could be burning the roots and that could be causing your brown leaves. The roots aren't able to take up the water that the tree needs. Keep it in the shade and out of direct sunlight for awhile. The white spots are probably from the minerals in the water it wont hurt anything.

Bonsai Expert mKlRivPwner is on a distinguished road mKlRivPwner's Avatar
    The white spots should still be cleaned off. The minerals they contain can clog up your leaves causing the tips to brown, and eventaully kill the leaves.
    "... And I shall call you pwner.... you may now go about your pwn'ing"
    - Slim Genre

Bonsai Apprentice court is on a distinguished road
    Thanks I will know for future not to feed the plant right away after replanting.. should i change the soil again to get rid of the food? or will the disturb it to much and just wait it out?

I also wiped off all the white spots as it's just like you described it's the ends that start turning brown the the whole leaf eventually turns brown and falls off. hope it helps

Bonsai Sensei Jimsai is on a distinguished road Jimsai's Avatar
    Just flush the soil by running water through it.

+ Reply to Thread