+ Reply to Thread

Thread: is this a bad idea?

Bonsai Apprentice kbeach15 is on a distinguished road

is this a bad idea?

so, i saw the bonsai pot where you can add water to the other half of it to make it look like a pond then buy a little figurine to make it look like a fisherman is fishing. well... i was hoping to put a real fish in the little pond, but its too small for the fish to swim around in. i was wondering if anyone knew any websites where there is a pot with a pond area big enough to support a real fish... or anything related to that.

as of right now i have a fish bowl right next to the bonsai and it would be cool to merge it into one display which leads me to my potentially bad idea... what if i moved my bonsai to a square pot with no holes and put it in a rectangular aqarium so the sides of the pot hang onto the sides of the aquarium leaving an area of water so the fisherman could be fishing into the aquarium.. does anyone follow my visual? but is it a bad idea to put a bonsai in a pot with no holes at the bottom? does anyone know an easier way to do this??

Bonsai Sensei Jimsai is on a distinguished road Jimsai's Avatar
    I see what you want to do but I think it's a bad idea. Aquariums and Bonsia don't mix. They are both my hobbies and I just don't see any way you could merge the 2 together.

Bonsai Apprentice ERdept is on a distinguished road
    Seems gimmicky. i'd stick to perfecting traditional methods. i always ask myself if my plants and collection are where i want them to be and the answer is NO. So i continue to strive for the best. i guess that's the point, to always try to perfect, though un-atainable

Bonsai Apprentice twiggie is on a distinguished road
    Jimsai, see my reply in the bonsai aquarium thread for my thoughts on how to merge the hobbies.

Bonsai Apprentice orchidman is on a distinguished road orchidman's Avatar
    i agree with jimsai. the two hobbies dont mix well. i do both, but they wouldnt mix well

Quote Originally Posted by twiggie View Post
    Jimsai, see my reply in the bonsai aquarium thread for my thoughts on how to merge the hobbies.
    I read your reply. But my main concern would be root rot. The only other tree I think could maybe working would be a bald cypress. They set in water in swaps. But they also send up some sort of root out of the water. I just don't think this could work. But give it a try and if it works let me know.

@ Twiggie, I would like to see some pics of what you have in mind. Could be interesting... ;o)

Bonsai Apprentice Treeguy4 is infamous around these parts
    what about a mangroove bonsai?

+ Reply to Thread