+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm New to Hiking and Campingand I Need Advice

I'm New to Hiking and Campingand I Need Advice

Hello! I live close to a branch of the Finger Lakes Trail in New York State. I've done day hikes on it with a group and I loved it. I think it would be really cool to do an overnight solo hike. It wouldn't be anything dramatic. I was thinking about an out and back. I was thinking about getting a two-person tent in case my wife ever wanted to come with me. I envision hiking to a certain point where I get tired or when it starts to get dark. I would then find a suitable place to set up camp and spend the night. My question is about where I can spend the night. The trail goes through some undeveloped parks and county forests where camping is not allowed. I guess I don't understand why camping is not allowed. The areas are pretty remote. I can't imagine how anyone would know a solo hiker was camping trail side overnight. Is this an issue I need to worry about? I don't want to break the rules or breach protocol. But, it seems to the uninitiated like a case of "no harm, no foul". Advice, please?

Yea I hear ya on that one. Go about stealth camping I think you will be fine. Keep your fire small or limited to cooking only, or not have one at all. Stay incognito. I really don't think you will have a problem.

The question that comes to my mind whenever I do things like that are what about the car? If Rangers see a parked car and no one at the campsites overnight they can assume something. So I normally put a sign in my window that says "Car battery dead, went to town, be back soon." Never had any problems.

I would suggest a small 2P tent, like a Marmot Twilight 2P or even better a Henry Shires Tarp Tent. This way it is easy for you to carry whether you need space for a two person or just yourself.
    "Do not fear mistakes, there are none" - Miles Davis

generally, state 'forest' lands allow minimalist one-night camping, and state 'game' lands do not allow any camping at all.
    you could of course try to help the world and change all that! you could begin a huge public awareness campaign to change the new york game commission's archaic laws.
    or you could, as GDead said, simply camp in those areas without drawing any attention to yourself with large fires, big, ugly tents or singing at the top of your voice.
    I've done it. its not as scary as GDead seemed to indicate.
    Help preserve the Environment - Teach Compassion for Wild Animals

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking about, and I don't know whether or not you saw the other thread about GoLite's sale, BUT... I just checked it out, and they DO have tents marked way down right now! $200 tent for $79, I think?!? Can't go wrong with that! So if you are looking for a tent, it might be a good thing to consider.

I live in Indiana, so I have no idea about your state's laws. However, I can say that I've probably camped in some places that I wasn't technically supposed to in the past with no trouble. I would say that the further out you are from a trailhead, the less likelihood there is of anyone hunting you down...not that I am encouraging you to break any rules.

Good luck with your trip!

Thank you for the replies so far. The website for the trail that i want to hike(and have hiked) says it is intended for day hikes and that camping is not permitted except for a few very limited private campsites. I can't imagine it being a problem if a solo hiker ran out of daylight and had to hunker down for the night. I mean I am very respectful of the environment and surroundings.

I think that's probably the key; be respectful. Don't build a huge bonfire when a small one will suffice. Maybe consider setting up camp somewhere off the trail, assuming it's still on public lands (I would have a hard time telling anyone to trespass). Maybe even consider checking out the few campsites they have, so you don't have to leave behind the charred earth where your fire was built.

I found a trail journal on-line account of a hiker who basically did what I want to do on the trail that I would like to hike. Apparently, there are more lean-tos and trailside camps than i thought. At least now I know it's do-able.

Thats good to hear Equinox. I think being respectful to a Ranger if one was to approach you about stealth camping (though highly unlikely) if you were just respectful and said hey I got turned around and nervous so I hunkered down and waited for daylight you will be alright. I would just make sure you are hard to see and far enough from the trail. No huge fires, if any at all. I think bringing a stove along to do cooking would be the best scenario for stealth camping.
    "Do not fear mistakes, there are none" - Miles Davis

Banned
    For the reasons you just stated Equinox, thats why I don't recomend buying some bright orange or other loud color tent. I often motorcycle/camp the Blue Ridge Parkway and have many a time set up tent in the corner of someone's pasture or on park land. If you are respectful to the land and whoever might stumble on you, 9 times out of 10 you won't have a problem. Of course the best solution is to simply camp in forests where it's allowed. Where do you live?

+ Reply to Thread