+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: wintering willow tree cutting

Member crash712us is infamous around these parts crash712us's Avatar

wintering willow tree cutting

any suggestions on the best course of action for wintering this?

Junior Member ktmac is infamous around these parts ktmac's Avatar

I'm interested in this as well.

I was wondering about starting willow tree cuttings now (i'm from southern ontario).

If I start them in a pot should I put the pot outside and let them go dormant for the winter or should I transplant into individual pots and keep them in the house?

I'm a bit impatient, and I haven't been in the country and consistently home until now to embark on such a task; and I don't want to wait the long winter months (until like april/may 2010) to do this.

I want to start this tomorrow.

it maybe to late in the season to start, starting to get cool out. you might not be able to get a healthy enough root system going to carry threw the winter. I know my cuttings growth has slowed almost completely in the past 2 week prior to was growing a inch a day. So your impatience I am afraid won't make a plant grow. Wait til next year, a large cutting will root very quickly so you can cut any size branch you want and will grow and will grow wicked fast.

nebraska

ktmac, welcome to the forums you can go with a tropical to keep indoors for the winter, but I have to agree with crash712us about having to wait on the willow

crash712us, do you have a cold frame or can you get one built? I would say to keep it anywhere where it gets the cold without the wind...how far along is this thing?

Re:wintering willow tree cutting

Its has come along quite well for just starting a couple months ago, but its growth has come pretty much to a halt. But next year this thing will be in full bloom, they grow amazingly fast. I was seeing a inch of growth a day. <br><br>Post edited by: crash712us, at: 2009/09/19 03:26
    Attached Images

nebraska

Lots of top growth is a good sign you getting lots of root growth, did you root this in water or soil? Do you know what kind of willow this is? Just questions because I'm curious, I bet it will be fine with some protection, just keeping the roots from freezing and keeping it out of the cold wind should be good. If you don't have a cold frame you could dig a little hole next to your house on a side that doesn't see much wind and mulch it into the hole.

Bonsai Sensei digger714 is infamous around these parts digger714's Avatar

I actually made several willow cuttings last fall just to see what they would do. I know they have a natural rooting harmone, so that part was easy. I put them under a large growlight with my tropicals. These things took off. After only 4 months through the winter, they are now 4 feet tall with trunks about 5/8" , i have prunned some of them, and shaped some just to experiment, and have gotten some pretty cool plants. Anyway, im sure ill have to put them outside, and then keep outside from here on out, but had great success growing them over winter. Good luck.

it would be great if you could post some pic's digger.

Bonsai Sensei sparky is on a distinguished road sparky's Avatar
    I got interested in Bonsai a little late this spring to do any air layering or propagation of any kind.
    I can't wait until next spring. I have two weeping willows in my yard that I can't wait to play with.
    From everything I have read it doesn't matter what size cutting you take so I think I'm going to do one a couple of inches thick.

Bonsai Apprentice Symbo is on a distinguished road
    Weeping willows make great bonsai but you have to constantly wire them to keep the weeping affect. Branches don't gain enough length for them to naturaly weep. I started one from a large cutting this spring and its being a constant battle keeping the new growth in a downward position.

+ Reply to Thread