+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winter in South-Africa....

Bonsai Apprentice HellRaiser is infamous around these parts

Winter in South-Africa....

just posting a thread that Im still active, just in the mid of a very harsh winter.... the coldest temp ive recorded around my trees outside had been -10 D Celcius two weeks ago.... still the frost cloth amazingly prevented anything from getting burned! :-D
    all acacias and maples have lost most leaves, jacarandas, succulents and evergreens are still going strong...
    all in all it seems my screens have protected my trees, and they only going through natural season changes without any harm...
    will soon construct a structure on my balcony to accomodate ALOT of treees, with gained knowledge of keeping them safe, sheltered, yet giving them plenty sunlight to thrive on.......
    so.... how are fellow SA peoples trees doing?
    please do add any ways you have found to keep your trees thriving in our harsh winters

Bonsai Sensei Gina is infamous around these parts
    I've been keeping some of my less sensitive trees under frost cloth and some of the hardiest ones completely uncovered, though they are in an enclosed area with walls fairly close all round. My ficuses and a few other sensitive trees as well as some seedlings are in a small 1.8 x 1.2metre greenhouse, except for a few which I bring into the kitchen at night. So far everything seems to be doing well, though I'll have to wait until spring to be sure that none of the deciduous trees have been harmed.

I have a bougainvillea under frost cloth and that is doing very well and even has a few flowers on it. Sadly the young bougainvilleas we planted in our garden a few months ago turned completely black the night we had the black frost and I doubt that they and a recently acquired Solanum (potato bush) will recover.

I'm glad to hear your trees are doing well. I really was worried that they would be exposed to too much wind on your balcony but you seem to have done a good job of protecting them.

I can't wait for spring. I want my trees to start growing again already - especially the very young ones.

and now our second cold snap of winter, black frost with all the trimmings.....
    all my semi dedicious and fully dediscous are now absolutely bare....
    even my house plants are taking strain!
    also cant wait for spring, to see warmer conditions, and to see wich trees and seedlings made it... from there I can formulate a new plan of action for the hot summer months with the surviving and growing trees...

Bonsai Apprentice dazzobonsai is infamous around these parts
    this winter has been really harsh!!!
    The frost has killed most of my dads outside pot plants and some of his bonsais seem to have come to the same fate!! Which sucks could he had some really nice acacias growing
    He has one black monkey thorn which is doing alright.
    Luckily i put all my bonsais inside my room just before the frost hit and they are all doing great!
    Hope you guys keep your plants safe!!

Our Solanum was just starting to show signs of recovery and the scratch test suggested the bougainvilleas are still alive too. I didn't realise there was black frost last night. There wouldn't be much to show as nothing has really grown much since it hit them three weeks ago. I'll have to look in the garden tomorrow to see whether there was more damage here or not.

My bonsai still seem to be doing okay. I think the wall close around really protects them from the worst of the icy wind and the majority of my trees are covered at night. And that greenhouse really seems to be doing its job because my tropicals seem fine in there. Still I won't be totally confident about anything until we're well into spring.

the weathet reports sugges warming weather, with cold fronts on the way.....
    so far my worst damages were from the dachund downstairs, that ran up the stairs and dug up small trees in my planter trays.... will give him a new address if he persists.......
    still watering everything every 2 to 3 days, arly morning during work days, mid day during off days, to make sure no water gets frozen around the roots....
    cant wait for spring either, to see what made it, and improve good growing bonsais to look even better by next year! got a good collection gowing, just need to seperatee the weak from the strong (never know what a tree is capable of unless its gone through a few seasons....)

We seem to have a bit of a false spring going on here. It's certainly got some of my deciduous trees fooled - there are buds breaking out all over the place. I hope the next cold spell doesn't cause die-back.

Well it seems like spring is really here now. How are your trees recovering, Hellraiser?

well, SA spring has definayely sprung!

all in all, my trees all look great! was woried about the Acacias, since some were buding new growth and others not... but by now they have all sprung to life!
    all except a minor few of the sproutlings made it, and all sprouted from seed are busting excelent growth!
    got some acacia, jacaranda and quiver tree seeds directly out of Namibia (parents were there and know it fascinates me) so if they come up ill post pics for an ID as soon as they big enough....
    my coolest are the two coral trees i sprouted as winter started, kept them inside in a sunny window cill to get them growing, and now that they are outside the growth is very fast

+ Reply to Thread