+ Reply to Thread

Thread: questions about replanting a bonsai

Bonsai Apprentice stevefromga2000 is on a distinguished road

questions about replanting a bonsai

I know that this is probably a beginner question, but that would make sense because I am just trying to get involved in this hobby. I picked up this plant at a local Wal-Mart because I thought it would look good at the house. Today I found the tray in the picture for what I think is a good price. My question, is it possible for me to transplant the tree from the cheap plastic pot it is in now to the new tray that I picked up today? I'm nervous about the tray not being large enough. Any and all assistance is appreciated. Thank you in advance for the help.
    Attached Images

Bonsai Apprentice Wmb13 is on a distinguished road Wmb13's Avatar
    Hi Steve,

What you have there is a Schfflera Actinphylla (Hawiian Umbrella Tree). Give this a read. Or google search the name and will learn lots.

I have a few of these. You should have no problems getting it into that pot (tray). You might find when you remove it from it's current pot that is has a couple of very long, think roots winding circles at the bottom of the pot. You can go ahead and trim these right back as it dose not need those. What it needs are the tiny thin fibrous roots. They are what provide the nutrients to the plant.
    When you trim the thick root off, make sure that you use very sharp clean cutters or scissors so that you do not give it a disease from contamination.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Wendy

I know that the article I linked to says to repot in the spring, but being that this tree will be indoors it should be fine. And since it was from Wal-Mart it might very well need a transplant into better soil anyhow.

Bonsai Apprentice stevefromga2000 is on a distinguished road
    thank you very much. i will read through the article tonight. while we are on the topic of new soil, is there a certain kind that will be better for this tree? i will still do the research, but i have always enjoyed talking about the hobbies that i become interested in along with researching them.

Bonsai Sensei sparky is on a distinguished road sparky's Avatar
    Your new Schfflera will take to transplanting very well. I just did mine last week and it's doing fine.
    here is a picture of it.

+ Reply to Thread