+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help me. Is my bonsai dead?

Bonsai Apprentice nuttiecat is on a distinguished road

Help me. Is my bonsai dead?

I got this bonsai in April from a friend who moving. Since I brought it home the plant did okay though it continually shed leaves. About 15 days ago I moved it to another room and since then all the leaves have dropped off.

Is it dead now? Though I see two tiny leaves shoots at one end, I am afraid they will turn brown. Does that mean the plant is dead then?

Also, is there anything I can do to save it? I spritz water on it, have never immersed it. And since it is indoors and near the window (which stays open) it gets about 2 hours of sunlight everyday. Here's the photo of the plant. It's a ficus retusa, says my friend.

photo(3)..jpgphoto(4)..jpg

Please help me save my bonsai!

Bonsai Sensei Jimsai is on a distinguished road Jimsai's Avatar
    As long as it is showing some life it is not dead. Ficus can be finicky they do not like to be moved around alot. What is the temps where you are living?
    If it gets below 50 degs that is not good for tropicals. Also more light wouldn't hurt. Be patient and see what happens. Good luck.

Jim

Administrator SlimGenre has disabled reputation SlimGenre's Avatar
    I have a ficus I can do pretty much anything I want to, although somewhat finicky, they are very resilient. Did the leaves dry out and fall or turn yellow and fall? That will tell you if you are under or over watering. I live in a very, very dry climate and I water mine about 3 times a week. They need to stay moist, but not wet. Jim's right about the temp thing too, but this time of year that's probably not the problem, my ficus is outside for the summer and has been for a while, is putting out lots of new shoots and temps vary anywhere from the low 50's to low 90's in a 24hr period.

So, what'd the leaves look like when they fell? dry and crispy or yellowing? I'd be hesitant to give a lot of direct sunlight if it doesn't have any leaves to soak it up, but some good outdoor morning to early afternoon sun, like against a east facing wall outside is probably a good idea.

... oh, and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by SlimGenre; 07-08-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: didn't finish my train of thought

Move at the speed of the tree
    - BonsaiZombie

Silm, I am thinking maybe over watering could be a problem. It's so hard to say without knowing where they life too. Some people here are in a lot of different locations across the world. We need to know these things too. How often they water the amount of sunlight the direction it is facing where they live. There are way too many things just to take a guess.

I also have ficus that are outside right now too. I am in Texas and it has been pretty hot here. I water once a day here.
    Last edited by Jimsai; 07-08-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Bonsai Apprentice HellRaiser is infamous around these parts
    yup, its about where you are based, giving current climate conditions, and what tree might be facing.... this will determine its growth, watering, and how it will be doing now, dormant or in a growth spurt....
    seasons play a natural role, so nature outside will determine its chances of surviving.

Initially the leaves were turning yellow before dropping off but mostly they were perfectly green leaves that fell off. I am in San Francisco and the plant is by a window that stays open so it gets about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight a day. But San Francisco weather is very weird so somedays its just foggy all day, in which case the plant just gets an hour of direct sunlight. Since it is indoors by the window, the temperature is around 65 degrees. I spritz water on it every 2 days.

And thanks for the welcome! Am keeping my fingers crossed that the bonsai will make it!

Administrator SlimGenre has disabled reputation SlimGenre's Avatar
    yellowing leaves is usually overwatering... my ficus did that at first but I got on a better watering schedule. Given your climate, I'd assume less watering is necessary (emphasis on the word "assume") as opposed to, say, where I live, where it has rained twice all year (not exagerating, longest consistent rain of the year was yesterday, it sprinkled for about 2 hours).

Move at the speed of the tree
    - BonsaiZombie

Quote Originally Posted by nuttiecat View Post
    Initially the leaves were turning yellow before dropping off but mostly they were perfectly green leaves that fell off. I am in San Francisco and the plant is by a window that stays open so it gets about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight a day. But San Francisco weather is very weird so somedays its just foggy all day, in which case the plant just gets an hour of direct sunlight. Since it is indoors by the window, the temperature is around 65 degrees. I spritz water on it every 2 days.

And thanks for the welcome! Am keeping my fingers crossed that the bonsai will make it!

It is better to water than spritz your tree. Your tree will be ok if you don't spritz it. You might think it is getting watered when it might not be. You want to water it not spitz it. That might be part of the problem.

The last two green shoots on the tree are shriveling up and turning brown. I think its over for this tree. I feel miserable and wish I could do anything but looks like its too late.

+ Reply to Thread