+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spider Web/Spider Mites (cause lack of watering?)

Bonsai Apprentice sundevil02000 is infamous around these parts

Spider Web/Spider Mites (cause lack of watering?)

Don't mean to bring up yet another spider mite topic, but have noticed my Juniper has an increasing number of spider webs popping up. I can see the very tiny spiders moving about.

I've read plenty of homemade remedies to get rid of these, so dont think I need advice there unless you've got a remedy I just have to use because it works so well.

My forum question is, are these spiders really here because I've not watered the tree enough? That is what I'm reading on some other sites, that they appear because of drought? That true? I'll have little problem getting rid of the spiders, I'm just trying to prevent them now from coming back.

My bonsai is indoors, in a very large window sill, gets a ton of sunlight, but does suck-down a good bit of water. I water it about 5 days a week, but only 2-3 ounces of water a day, basically when I notice the soil is dry. Should I be watering it more?

My juniper is about 14 inches in length. 6 inches straigh up. Then about 8 inches 90-degrees to the right. It looks like a gun almost, if you can imagine that.

Thanks!

Bonsai Sensei Gina is infamous around these parts
    I don't know too much about spider mites, but Junipers are outdoor trees. If you search the forums you'll find MANY tales of people whose Junipers have died because they kept them indoors.

Administrator SlimGenre has disabled reputation SlimGenre's Avatar
    I have a web on a hibiscus of mine, doesn't seem to be hurting it much I'm sure it's not supposed to be there and I'm keeping it away from my other plants. Interested to see if anyone has that sure-fire remedy... never heard the "not watering enough" theory... don't know why that would have anything to do with it, but if that's what you're reading maybe I'm not doing enough research.

Move at the speed of the tree
    - BonsaiZombie

Administrator SirSpeedy1 has disabled reputation SirSpeedy1's Avatar
    The "not watering enough" problem might caused by not watering the whole plant. I have read that before. I usually water my whole plants at least once a week from a watering can.

Super Moderator mikey012076 has disabled reputation mikey012076's Avatar
    Spider mites are a thing that all tres get if out doors, it is just life of a tree, some are lucky some are not, the thing about spidermites is if you live where it is dry you get spider mites if it is damp or wet most of the time you will not get them as much, so water your whole tree watering will keep them off the tree, this is why, spider mites do not like water and hide under leaves to stay away from water, what the spider mites are doing when it is dry is feeding off of the water in your tree to keep living because it is so dry that the spider mites can not find water, the problem is when you get spider mites it is hard to rid of them even if it is damp or wet because they found there home where they can stay dry in your tree so i guess it is time to wash them off and spray down the tree with raid house & garden here is the link on what to look for http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_hg_bk.asp

Hope tis helps...

Mike...:O)

Administrator SlimGenre has disabled reputation SlimGenre's Avatar
    thanks mike...

Move at the speed of the tree
    - BonsaiZombie

Bonsai Sensei Jimsai is on a distinguished road Jimsai's Avatar
    "IT'S RAID!!!!" Sorry guys just a little funny.

Bonsai Apprentice cubbie is on a distinguished road
    are there any species that you cannot use this on????

Bonsai Apprentice jjbacoomba is infamous around these parts jjbacoomba's Avatar
    I sometimes use a solution of dishwashing soap and water and alcohol. Do NOT use this mixture on Tridents. Not sure about other maples.I water daily and I also make sure to water the foliage with the sprayer/hose pointing up to get under the leaves. I have some regular spiders on my trees that dont seem to be a bother.

+ Reply to Thread