+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bought A Chinese Elm

Bonsai Apprentice LastVampyer is infamous around these parts

Bought A Chinese Elm

I bought a Chinese Elm because after doing some research I found that these trees are quite common, inexpensive and a great starter tree.

The awesome thing is, it's not dead yet (...granted it's only day 3, but still )

I keep it inside as I was told that it was suitable for that type of environment and I water it 2-3 times a day depending on how dry the soil is. I also spray (or mist) a little water on the leafs as well

It's placed in a well-lit room but not on the window sill. There are a few yellow leafs but on the whole it seems to be doing ok

So, am I doing ok?

Honestly :P

Vamp

nebraska

Bought A Chinese Elm

Sounds like youre doing good for the most part... but watering 2-3 times a day seems like a lot of watering, especialy for an indoor tree. make sure to check the soil down by the roots not the top soil, once the soil down there starts to dry you can water again, they can be kept indoors but do appreciate the extra sun they can get from going outside in the summer

Bonsai Apprentice LastVampyer is infamous around these parts

Bought A Chinese Elm

I'm building a couple of potting/display benches and should be finished in a couple of days. That way I'll be able to put the tree outside and, when I get more trees, I'll have somewhere to put them

Hmmm, I checked the root soil and it seems pretty moist so I think I'll stop watering today and try just doing it once a day. When I got it, it had a little note on it saying it had been fed and I shouldn't need to feed it again for 2 weeks.

Anyway, thanks for the advice mate

Bonsai Expert JesRdKing is on a distinguished road JesRdKing's Avatar

Bought A Chinese Elm

Welcome to the forum, by them saying it was fed was they used fertilizer for the feeding of the tree. Once you put it outside then it will need watering once a day most likely with wind and sun etc. Water the tree regular and allow about 15-20 minutes then mix a 1/2 teaspoon of fertilizer with a gallon of water this is half strength. By watering first before fertilizing with the mixture stops not burning of the roots. I use Miracle grow (all purpose plant food) with a reading of 24-8-16 which can be obtain almost anywhere ( Lowes, walmart, or home depot probably even some grocery stores. Good luck with your elm
    Let us mount up with wings and soar like Eagles in his name. Thank You God for all that you have given me

Super Moderator mikey012076 has disabled reputation mikey012076's Avatar

Bought A Chinese Elm

Look into watering every 2 to 3 days closer to every 3 days trees do not use as much water as you mite think....

Mike...:O)

Bonsai Expert JesRdKing is on a distinguished road JesRdKing's Avatar

Bought A Chinese Elm

I think I forgot to mention you feed them every 2 weeks. Happy 4th to you
    Let us mount up with wings and soar like Eagles in his name. Thank You God for all that you have given me

+ Reply to Thread