+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: apple bonsai

Junior Member dilly32 is infamous around these parts

apple bonsai

hi mike i was wondering if u know of any places to buy an apple bonsai tree from.

Member Seanstar is infamous around these parts Seanstar's Avatar

apple bonsai

ebay has some but searching out a shop selling them through google would be a good idea as well.<br><br>Post edited by: Seanstar, at: 2009/11/20 15:33

Re:apple bonsai

alright ill try that thanks.

alright ill try that thanks.

Super Moderator mikey012076 has disabled reputation mikey012076's Avatar

That would be the best place , try buying apples and planting the seeds that will work too, in spring look up apple seedlings you will fine a lot of them, in the fall and winter they will stop selling them....

Mike....:O)

how long after the seedling has been growing as a bonsai tree does it take to fruit.

Junior Member Terry is infamous around these parts

dilly32 wrote:
    how long after the seedling has been growing as a bonsai tree does it take to fruit.
    It will take many years to grow an apple tree from seed for it to produce blossom and fruit.
    It also won't grow 'true' from the seed that you sow.
    If you want an apple bonsai, air layer from an established tree or trunk cut a non-grafted nursery tree.

Bonsai Apprentice BonsaiChris is on a distinguished road BonsaiChris's Avatar

i've also been interested in making bonsai fruit trees with some cuttings from an apple and a cherry tree that we have. Would it be possible to have a plum bonsai as well? Also, I was wondering about what was meant by a apple tree grown from a seed not growing "true."

Super Moderator iamurthman has disabled reputation iamurthman's Avatar

Hi Chris, many of our fruits are not natural, but are produced by genetic hybriding. The seeds from these fruits will not produce the hybrid tree, but will produce the tree that the hybrid was made from. Many of the Japanese maples, especially the fancy ones, are hybrid and the seeds will give you regular Acer palmatum. Red Delicious apple seeds will not produce Red Delicious apples, will not grow "true to kind." I have several flowering plum bonsai. Almost any tree can be bonsai if you like its characteristics. Leaf size is a big consideration, and growth habits.
    Happy Holly Daze!

Bonsai Apprentice BonsaiChris is on a distinguished road BonsaiChris's Avatar

Wow, thanks for that bit of info! :cheer: I always thought hybrid plants made seeds of their same kind...however, since its almost always better to start from cuttings than seeds, i guess it doesnt really matter does it? :P

+ Reply to Thread