+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh dear, think my azalea is dying.

Junior Member dent253 is infamous around these parts

Oh dear, think my azalea is dying.

Hi Everyone,

I've had my azalea for almost 3 months and it has gone downhill ever since. It was flowering when I got it but the flowers all died in the first week and the leaves have slowly but surely been curling up and turning brown. I know azaleas are outside trees but I have nowhere outside that is protected from the harsh sun so it is currently sitting by an open window inside and gets a couple of hours filtered sun every morning. Any suggestions would really help.

Thanks, Sarah

nebraska

Hi Sarah, sounds like your Azalea has been allowed to dry out a bit too much. This might not be under watering, but instead it could be from lack of humidity. Inside our homes the air is more dry than the air of a desert, some trees can handle this much better than others. Ficus have thick waxy leaves which help them cope with the dry air better, but Azalea doesn't.

I would suggest a humidity tray for this. Get a tray and fill it with aquarium gravel. Add water to the tray but don't cover the gravel. Set your pot on top of the gravel making sure the pot doesn't touch the water. This will create some humidity in the immidiate area of your tree. Another suggestion if you are able to. In the morning if you can, set the Azalea outside for a little while, it will get better humidity outside than even the tray can get you. The morning sun isn't as harsh as afternoon sun so it will get the tree some good light but keep from frying it.

Also make sure you are watering it properly. Stick a chopstick into the soil for about 3mins, then pull it out. If the chopstick is moist don't water it. If it's dry go ahead and water it.

Thank you so much, I'll give that a go today.

Administrator vpal has disabled reputation vpal's Avatar

usually when a tree is sick feeding is discontinued until it recovers
    But in your case the tree had flowered and flowering uses up a lot of the trees reserves. Another thing azaleas need acidic ph in the soil. Feeding with an inorganic feed eg 20:20:20 will replace nutrients and also acidify the soil. you can start this after correcting the humidity and light problems. Feeding start with lower than the recommended amt on the pack . feed twice weekly

Thanks vpal, I haven't fed my tree at all since I got it so no wonder it's not coping! I've put it on a humidity tray today so how long do you think I should wait before I start feeding?

Super Moderator mikey012076 has disabled reputation mikey012076's Avatar

Start feeding when you start to see new growth, then you will know your tree is out of shock and back on track....

Ok, will do, thanks again

Bonsai Apprentice jp8127 is infamous around these parts jp8127's Avatar

Re:Oh dear, think my azalea is dying.

Make sure you dont wire your azalea with copper wire, it is supposedly toxic to them.

+ Reply to Thread