+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Feminine Hygiene Hiking Tips

Feminine Hygiene Hiking Tips

Alright, girls, one thing that's really, really important that you have to, have to think about before you leave is what happens if you go on your period while you're backpacking. You have to be prepared for it. You know, sometimes things are irregular, and so you have to always be prepared for it, even if you think it's not time. One thing you have to think about, feminine hygiene products, both used and unused, are smellables to bears. Sometimes they come scented, and so you don't want to get that kind if you can help it, but even better than preparing for that is you can go on a period regulating pills. Something that you can talk to your doctor about, but if you're going to do that, you should do it several months in advance, because it may change physically how you're able to function. Some girls, it makes them more tired, and if that's a side effect that, you know, it really, really has an impact on you, you want to know about that before you actually go hiking. But, since feminine hygiene products are a smellable, basically you become a smellable when you're sitting in your tent at night. And so it's safer if you're not having your period while you're going hiking.

thank you, Megan Rouch!
    Help preserve the Environment - Teach Compassion for Wild Animals

Period regulating pills can be extremely dangerous! Altering your natural cycle can have effects for months. Many women think that they can simply use birth control pills in order to alter the cycle but you need to keep in mind before doing so, it is natural to have that cycle at THAT time. Be prepared for delaying it to effects that will last much longer than just your weekend!
    Last edited by apples; 10-16-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Banned
    that's really useful for our girls in group, thanks !

this thread is kinda strange. think about it... a bunch of guys talking about feminine hygiene on the trails....

lol, its like theyre actually knowledable on the subject!
    Help preserve the Environment - Teach Compassion for Wild Animals

Banned
    lol, its like theyre actually knowledable on the subject!

hi..
    i am new to this and i find this good and interesting and must be appreciated by all.caravan sales

For those like me who don't take birth control pills, there is the Diva Cup http://www.divacup.com/ which is an environmentally responsible choice and doesn't smell (just be sure to empty it very far away from your camp site!)
    Last edited by Acid Cat; 12-07-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Thumbs up thanks

Thanks for posting a practical solution to a problem that would be difficult for a newcomer to ask about. I want to walk the AT thru without being bear bait or hanging out at shelters for 5 days at a time. I checked out the site and ordered the products within minutes. Are there any other female specific advice threads on here? Thanks again.

I dunnot know. But if you want to have a girl-talk, you can always send me a private message through this forum :P
    "Ah, it's just a lot of words, I don't wanna hear all your words descriptions of words words words you made up all winter, man I wanta be enlightened by actions."

Japhy in Dharma Bums

"Yes, man has an evil side, it's called stupidity"
    don Juan in Power of Silence

+ Reply to Thread