+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Caring for a juniper

Junior Member Rockvelocity is infamous around these parts Rockvelocity's Avatar

Caring for a juniper

Hello Everyone.

As my recent post detailed, i just purchased a juniper bonsai kit. I purchased it from this site:
    http://www.shbonsai.com/dev/productslist.php?ProductCategory=kits

Firstly, can someone tell me if this is a good site?? I bought the Deluxe 4 inch set.

Secondly, Can someone give me some basic tips on caring for my juniper so im not clueless when it gets here?? Like Watering, sunlight, the whole grooming process, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Bonsai Apprentice dr_sanity is infamous around these parts dr_sanity's Avatar

Caring for a juniper

probably the best thing you could do is google caring for juniper bonsai an sped a few days reading what you can find... there's loads of stuff out there on the net

Caring for a juniper

Yea thats basically what ive been doing for now. I just wanted to see anyone had any personal experiences or tips they could share from any bonsai they might've done with a juniper.

Caring for a juniper

i've got a couple that i've picked up, 1 last year and 1 i found this year that had been hiding in my garden..

most of the time they're quite easy to look after, they're fairly drought tolerant, so waterin is less of an issue(unless it's really hot and dry where you are)

Caring for a juniper

check out my post Re:another 1 i found in my garden. this little juniper parsonii was the one i found this year, it doesn't tell you much but its a nice looking tree now<br><br>Post edited by: dr_sanity, at: 2009/04/11 18:55

Bonsai Sensei Indiana Gardener is infamous around these parts Indiana Gardener's Avatar

Caring for a juniper

I looked at the kit and two things popped into my mind.

1) don't trim the foliage with those shears. Use those only for cutting back small branches. You'll want to trim the foliage by pinching it back with your fingers. If you cut it, the tips will turn brown.

2) I'm not sure about this, maybe someone else will know if it matters or not... I noticed that the pot is glazed. I've never grown a juniper in a glazed pot. I think they need the benefit of the porous unglazed finish for air? I could be completely wrong on that, but I hardly ever see a juniper or evergreen conifer of any kind in a glazed pot. Anyone know if there is a reason or if it's just what someone along the way preferred for some aesthetic reason?

If you haven't yet, you may want to look at your local library for some books. Figure out which one you like best, and then find a cheap used copy of it in good condition somewhere for yourself. Sometimes ebay and their sister site half.com has some good deals.

David

Caring for a juniper

Thanks for the infomation. Im excited to get started. I ordered yesterday so im expecting it on monday. All the information ive gotten from this site has been nothing but useful.

Senior Member philpot is infamous around these parts philpot's Avatar

Caring for a juniper

I'm gonna say this not out of personal experience but from what I've read... growing a juniper in a glazed pot is not a good idea. It probably won't kill it but its definitely not good for it... please, somebody correct me if im wrong...

Bonsai Sensei emorrin is infamous around these parts emorrin's Avatar

Caring for a juniper

Usually the inside of such pots are not glazed. I could be wrong but this is usually the case. The only problem if it is glazed is that the roots will not be able to grab on to the inside of the pot. You will probably want to wire the juniper in the pot anyway so that it does not accidentally fall out due to be tipped over by wind, pets, etc. Also, some algae can form on the glaze. Other than that, I do not see any other issues with having a fully glazed pot.

Senior Member philpot is infamous around these parts philpot's Avatar

Caring for a juniper

i have heard that a fully glazed pot retains too much moisture, speeding up things like root rot. like I said not personal experience just reading :P

+ Reply to Thread