+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 days in Shenandoah National Park

3 days in Shenandoah National Park

So I've been made responsible for planning a 2.5 day, 2 night backpacking trip in SNP for myself and 4 other complete backpacking noobs. I'd like to lay out for you all what route I've been thinking of taking and would appreciate comments, advice and constructive criticism. I'm also at a loss as far as good places to make camp at night, so suggestions in that regard are especially welcome. We're starting this trip early afternoon so I wanted Day 1 to be just a 1-3 hour hike. If someone sees a cutoff point in my plans for Day 1 in the form of a good campsite, we'll stop there and pick up the next day.

Day 1-
    Start at the Mathew's Arm Campground/Mathews Arm Trail and go North up Tuscarora-Overall Run Trail and hit the Overall Run waterfall. We'd then head back west on Tuscarora-Overall Run trail, South down the Beecher-Overall Run Connection trail and then Southeast on Heiskill Hollow Trail till we hit Knob Mountain Trail. Take this to Jeremys Run trail.

Day 2-3
    The Jeremys Run- Neighbor Mountain Loop
    Southeast down Jeremys Run Trail 4.8 miles to Neighbor Mountain Trail.
    Take Neighbor Moutain Trail ~3 miles to the AT.
    Take AT North ~4-5 miles to Tuscarora-Overall Run Trail back to Mathews Arm Trail/Campground.

As you can see, I'm unsure of where exactly to break up days 2 and 3. Any suggestions for camp sites would probably help make that decision. It's 5 people so we're bringing two 2-3 people tents, if that effects your suggestions at all.

thank you in advance!
    [img size=350]http://www.hikingforums.net/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/snp_knobmt_jeremyrun_w.jpg[/img]
    Attached Images

3 days in Shenandoah National Park

Take tons of bug spray the Tics are outrageous in Shenandoah right now

+ Reply to Thread