+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it true????

Senior Member Gr8dane is infamous around these parts Gr8dane's Avatar

Is it true????

This may be one of those DUH? questions but.... I was reading on the net today and saw a post where someone has suggested that you can encourage the growth in width of a tree by digging it up, spreading the roots out, and placing a flat tile or stone under the root ball then replaning it.

This implies that the trunk will grow in width more than in height. So is that DUH question? Will it?

Cheers

Geo

Member SasukiiLucy is infamous around these parts SasukiiLucy's Avatar

Is it true????

wow, i've never heard of that, but i'll have to keep an eye on this to find out lol... very interesting :P

Super Moderator mikey012076 has disabled reputation mikey012076's Avatar

Is it true????

No it slows down the growth of the tree. i have tryed this, the only way to get a faster thicker trunk growth it is plant it in a large deep pot or in the ground and let it grow, the deeper the roots and more roots the more leaves, the more leaves the faster and thicker the trunk gets...

Mike....:O)

Administrator vpal has disabled reputation vpal's Avatar

Is it true????

If you are thinking in terms of a 4 or 5 inch trunk diameter you wont get it with the tile piece. If you have a seedling of a fast growing species , the first time you repot it in its own growing pot , cut off the tap root and plant it over a 3 inch piece of flat tile. The tile shouldnt be planted too deep. Heap some soil around the seedlind to keep it steady as it is lkely to topple over until new roots develop
    Now as the roots develop they cant grow down . They have to grow sideways to the edge of the tile and then grow down.Because of the roots growing sideways within a few months you will find your trunk base widening . Also you will have a very nice nebari. Every seedling i have is sitting on a piece of broken flower pot

Senior Member Gr8dane is infamous around these parts Gr8dane's Avatar

Is it true????

Very cool! So I have a silver maple that has about a 1.5" base. If I do the process you have listed above I can widen the base? Sweet, I'll have to give it a go this weekend.

This maple is my guinea pig tree to try things on and it just keeps surviving my lack of knowledge.

Cheers

Geo

+ Reply to Thread