+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to become a guide?

How to become a guide?

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and had a question - how would someone become a guide? Is there any sort of training involved or do you just have a lot of experience and just get a job being a guide?

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before but I didn't find anything on with a search.

This question is more from curiosity than looking for a job (it would be a pretty sweet job if you ask me).

Administrator

How to become a guide?

Hi Iscuba, welcome to the forum I hope you will like it here.

Yes. You need a variety of hiking guide training courses in order to become a certified guide.

How to become a guide?

Depending on whether you work for the state, country, or national forest/mountain, there is quite an array of rescue/emergency medical training courses that must be completed. Some as few as 20 hours many more like 80 hours. I would ask the specific place you have in mind how someone would go about looking up their local certified classes.

How to become a guide?

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. Would you have any websites for more info? I don't really have any places in mind just curious after a trip I took to Alaska. It was amazing by the way.

How to become a guide?

The other thing, though maybe it is obvious, is knowledge and familiarity with the area. If you want to be a guide in Alaska-- the best way besides some no. of hours of courses, would be to really know it. Therefore, imo, you would never be a really great guide unless you lived there and loved it and knew all the local lore, etc.

--des

Administrator

How to become a guide?

That's right, Des. Knowing the area is very, very important and (in my eyes) the main requirement besides the general guide experience.

How to become a guide?

I haven't done hiking with a guide, but I have been on many guided tours, and so forth. The very best guides were not just smart and had their own theories (at times) but really knew the local lore. There are little bus and train trips in Key West for instance. The folks who give the best tours get off script and get into all sorts of cool little details.

--des

Administrator

How to become a guide?

That's right! Those that know the little tads and titbits of a place - they're the best

Banned

How to become a guide?

The tour guides that can give the tour a local flavor beyond the standard tour are the best. They also get the bigger tips.

Administrator

How to become a guide?

(bigger) tips........ that's right.

+ Reply to Thread